Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ghost588334 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2008, 11:10 AM
    Reduce the pain of my cartilage piercing
    Is there any kind of pain medication I can use to reduce the pain of my cartilage piercing?

It hurts to sleep on, its like someone is slamming a hammer into my ear when I try to lay on it. I don't want to take it out, its not infected at all. It just hurts like crazy when I try to touch it. When I leave it alone its fine, I don't even realise that it's there. Only when I try to move, or sleep on it is when the pain gets unbearable. Is there anything I can do?
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Apr 1, 2008, 12:23 PM
    Piercings hurts...

Take some tylenol.
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2008, 06:27 PM
    How old is the piercing?

Cartilage piercings are very sensitive -- the slightest thing can cause them to flare up. They are also among the few piercings that take a while to heal -- they are usually fully healed in 12 months.

Take some Ibuprofen for any pain and/or swelling that is present. You can also put a warm compress on it for 10 minutes twice a day. This will help soothe it a bit. Do not sleep on it; I know, that is usually easier said than done, but do your best to not lay on it. Also, do not talk on the phone on that side. The more you irritate it, the more painful and flared up it is going to get.

The more you are able to just leave it alone, the quicker it is going to start to heal. Every time you lay on it or play with it, the healing process is prolonged.

Cartilage piercings take some time to heal, so just bear with it. If you care for it properly, it will heal up just fine.
    jramire Posts: 3, Reputation: -1

Apr 30, 2008, 08:52 PM
    Also make sure to clean around 3 times a day {regular acohol) ma sure to turn and the pain will stay there for around 3 or 4 weeks you can try triple antibiotic ointment {neosporin} helps with pain
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2008, 09:06 PM
    Never ever ever use alcohol, or triple antibiotic ointment. The question was about pain; neither of these products will relieve pain. Not only that, these products are entirely too harsh for piercings and will just make matters worse.
    jramire Posts: 3, Reputation: -1

Apr 30, 2008, 09:18 PM
    Alcohol is really just to keep it clean... triple antibiotic ointment worked for me!
    danbabex3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2009, 04:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jramire View Post
    also make sure to clean around 3 times a day {regular acohol) ma sure to turn and the pain will stay there for around 3 or 4 weeks you can try triple antibiotic ointment {neosporin} helps with pain
    Never use neosporin! It will make your body reject the piercing!
    CaliGurl777 Posts: 16, Reputation: 0

Aug 18, 2010, 12:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jramire View Post
    also make sure to clean around 3 times a day {regular acohol) ma sure to turn and the pain will stay there for around 3 or 4 weeks you can try triple antibiotic ointment {neosporin} helps with pain
    I disagree because the risks of using plain achohol is major irritation
    misslethal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2010, 12:46 PM
    It is imperative that you do not use alchohols on your piercing to clean it... to keep clean run under hot water (while you shower) if you get shampoo in it just make sure to rinse thoroughly. Any product that your piercer tells you to use... USE!! Many piercers emphasise the use of STERILE saline solution. These saline solution products can be found in the first aid section of any local drug store. DO NOT USE NASAL SALINE PRODUCTS. Not because they will infect your piercing.. they won't do anything bad but you are wasting your time using them because they do not steralise and the plastic containers of saline become contaminated after first use. Sterile means that a) the product was put in a sterile container in such a way that any outside contaminants did not enter the solution, and b) that the can in which the solution was put into does not allow for anything to enter it. Aka get a spray can of saline solution.
    laurenf757 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2010, 02:35 PM
    I got my cartillage pierced almost a week ago and it was fine, didn't even hurt for five minutes but I put hydrogen proxcide on it and now it won't stop throbbing with pain. Is there anything I can do?
    VictoryaThomas Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2010, 08:54 PM
    Comment on jramire's post
    Alcohol can inflame the piercing, Antibacterial soap is best to keep it clean.
    VictoryaThomas Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2010, 08:56 PM
    Comment on laurenf757's post
    Peroxide is never a good thing to use on new piercings.
    questionask Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2011, 07:26 PM
    My cartilage piercing is kind of sore due to I think when I was taking a shower the towel caught in the earing a bit, on the other hand I do not sleep on it... I think this normal right not that its infected or anything right? I think it was kind of stupid to pierce 2 cartilage piercing on 1 ear the pain is twice than usual..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cartilage Piercing red and swollen. [ 33 Answers ]

I just got my cartilage pierced 4 days ago (with a needle, not a gun). I've been cleaning it as instructed. Right now, it's red, swollen, and painful. I assume this is normal since it's only been four days. But these are also signs of infection... I was just wondering at what point I should start...

Cartilage Piercing? [ 3 Answers ]

I just got my cartilage pierced. It is like a regular cartilage piercing and i went to Piercing Pagoda. My ear is swollen but it doesn't hurt. My mom and I don't know whether we should take it out or keep it in and see what happens. They did it with a gun not a needle. Is there a difference between...

Cartilage piercing [ 12 Answers ]

Hello I am thinking of getting my cartilage pierced.. I was wondering how much that would hurt?

Cartilage Piercing [ 3 Answers ]

I got my cartilage pierced 9 days ago and it seemed to be fine. Now it's red and is tender. There isn't any puss or scabs but it hurts to touch or lay on. Is this normal or is it infected? :confused:

When will cartilage piercing pain go away? Can I eventually sleep on my side? [ 29 Answers ]

Hi I recently have had my cartilage pierced on my right ear only and it does not hurt at all right now and most of the time it doesn't hurt at all but it is sore when I touch it and it is too painful to spin the studs so I just leave them alone and try to clean them as much as I can with the...

View more questions Search