Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aromanchuck Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2006, 07:35 PM
    Washing machine noise
    My Maytag Performa model PAV2300AWW washing machine makes a terrible screech for about 10 seconds when each spin cycle starts. I replaced the drive belt but this made no difference. I checked the machines level and it appears fine. The machine works great except for the annoying noise. How can I stop this screech?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2006, 06:06 AM
    Hi,
    This is just an educated guess. It could be the transmission. If it's possible to pull your washing machine out from the wall some, start it spinning, and listen from the back with the back panel off, you might could tell where the "screech" is coming from.
    I do wish the best of luck.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2006, 02:12 PM
    I have been leaving most of the appliance questions to applguy and stew since they are good. You might try loosening the belt and turning things by hand. See if anything feels dry or is noisy. If you leave the belt off, and start it in the spin cycle, and get the screech, the problem is in the motor. Report back and it my help applguy when he answers.
    applguy Posts: 324, Reputation: 23

Mar 14, 2006, 06:18 PM
    This washer is serviced from the front. Very likely you have a bad thrust bearing. All components visible underneath should be dry - no oil. The drive motor is bi-directional. It rotates one direction for wash and the other for spin. During agitation, the thrust bearing doesn't do much. When the motor reverses for spin, the thrust bearing is under extreme pressure from the brake spring. This is a very common failure, but unfortunately, the only way to know if it's bad is to take it apart and inspect the bearing and spacers for wear. Another possibility is something in or wrong with the drain pump. Unfortunately, you can't spin that pump pulley fast enough by hand to prove anything unless the pump feels "gritty" when you turn it. It should turn freely and smoothly. Just to clarify, this noise occurs when the machine starts to spin and not when it stops spinning? There is another, more common failure in this washer when the unit stops spinning. Sometimes they make a very loud screaching noise when they stop.
    marathon_rat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2006, 11:47 AM
    Applguy, what is the more common failure you spoke about? My washing machine screeches when it stops spinning. Thank you!
    applguy Posts: 324, Reputation: 23

May 8, 2006, 05:01 PM
    The more common failure when it squeeks as it stops is the brake rotor. This part requires removal of the drive belt, pulley/thrust bearing system, and brake stator (requires special tool). If you can borrow a brake tool from a local servicer, get part number 35-2948 brake rotor and let me know. We will loan special tools with a credit card number deposit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Want to put washing machine in kitchen [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to put a stackable washing machine in my kitchen. From a purely plumbing standpoint how feasible is it to hire a plumber to place hookups in my kitchen for a regular clothes washing machine. Is this something that is reasonable to do in most cases? How much is it likely to cost in...

Washing Machine Box [ 10 Answers ]

Greetings. My basement has an overhead Sewer pipe going out to the front. Therefore, if I want a washing machine in the Basement, I have to pump the discharge up and out in some way. Right now, the discharge goes to the sump pump hole and then is pupmed out. I want to install a washing...

Washing machine line [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, We want to run a new washing machine drain line. We're considering running a new line tying into the main. For ease, was going to run in a trench line outside the house and tie in outside, rather than Going through the slab. Is this acceptable? Our old drain line has a hole in it, did...

Washing machine clog? [ 3 Answers ]

I read another post here about a clog in the washing machine hoses. It makes sense and I understand about having to snake the line. However I have another question. We only have the overflow from the hose in the winter months. I first noticed the leak late last winter. In the spring it went away...

Portable Washing Machine [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All! I just moved into an apartment in New York that has a laundry room in the basement. As I just had a baby, my wife wanted to have at least a small washing machine in the apartment. As there is no place to connect it and the landlord will not change anything, I was wondering if some kind...

View more questions Search