Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (
-   Taxes (
-   -   Stop Dept of ED. From taking my tax return (

  • Sep 14, 2008, 04:53 PM
    Stop Dept of ED. From taking my tax return
    I guess the intro pretty much sums it up. I have defaulted student loans and the dept of education has started taking my income taxes return yearly. Just the federal is taken and the state left be. Im now in a position to make the payments, but how can I stop the garnishment of my tax return?? Help. :confused:
  • Sep 14, 2008, 06:44 PM
    You will have to contact them and make payment arrangements. They won't do this automatically - you have to tell them you'll make payments. It might take some time to arrange this so start now so you might get next year's tax return.
  • Sep 15, 2008, 10:57 AM

    You can expect to have your 2008 federal tax refund confiscated as well even if you make payment arrangements.

    The Department of Education is NOT STUPID, and they will want you to establish a payment record for at least a year before they stop the garnishment action of your federal refund.

    Further, if you do nothing, it is only a matter of time before they start taking the state refund as well.

  • All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:45 AM.