Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (
-   Taxes (
-   -   Spouse full time residents in separate states : states taxes? (

  • Mar 22, 2007, 12:45 PM
    Spouse full time residents in separate states : states taxes?
    My husband and I got married in Dec 2006.

    He was a full time CA resident in 2006 and still lives there and got income only from CA.

    I was a fulltime Kentucky resident in 2006 and still live here and got my income only from KY.

    We can file federal taxes jointly. But what do we do for state taxes? We both claim our residences in different states. If we file taxes jointly/separately in both states, the income reported on line 37 in 1040 (which happens to be combined income since we want to file federal jointly) is required by the states (which considerably increases the tax even though the other person did not receive any income in one state).

    1. Can we still file state taxes in our individual states separately and report only specify income from the state ?
    2. Can we file jointly for each state but report only one income that we received in that state (that is only one spouses income)?

    I looked for special instructions for such situations but only Utah addressed it (in one of their online forms) which is totally useless to me.

    Please Help!

  • Mar 26, 2007, 11:11 PM
    File jointly in each state, then arrange the return to pay only on the income earned within that state's borders.

    Recommend you get professional tax help. Do this the correct way can be tricky.

  • All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:06 PM.