Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (
-   Taxes (
-   -   Relocated to Nashville, wife still in Memphis (

  • Oct 5, 2008, 04:33 PM
    Relocated to Nashville, wife still in Memphis
    I relocated to Nashville for a job and will be here for at least a year. Due to the housing market and her having a good job, my wife is staying in Memphis. How much of my relocation/living expenses can I deduct from this years taxes?

    Thank you,

  • Oct 5, 2008, 04:35 PM

    I should add that my permanent address is still in Memphis.

  • Oct 6, 2008, 12:07 PM
    Right now, you can claim NOTHING.

    If you KNEW the job was temporary in nature (less than one year), you could deduct your daily living expenses (on the assumption that your employer was not reimbursing you for these expenses with tax-free money).

    If you KNEW the job was permanent, you could claim certain moving expenses.

    However, since you know neither, you cannot claim ANY deduction now.

    Once you DO know, you can amend your 2007 and 2008 return accordingly.
  • Oct 12, 2008, 06:04 PM

    I knew the job was permanent. The question is can I deduct any living expenses until my wife moves up here?

  • Oct 13, 2008, 08:43 AM
    Nagative. A permanent job move does NOT allow the deduction for daily living costs.

    You can claim moving expenses, both the immeidate expenses and the expenses to move your wife later.

    Claim these moving expenses in the year`they are incurred.

  • All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:36 PM.