Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dweyburn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2007, 08:48 AM
    Tax break for home office while employed by company?
    I am a virtual worker, telecommuter, whatever you want to call it, for a large company that I do not own. Can I take a home-office deduction as if I were self-employed for the part of my apartment that I use exclusively for my office space?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 11, 2007, 08:16 AM
    It's possible, but it's likely to send up an audit flag. This deduction gets abused by a lot of people, so the IRS is likely to ask questions. You will need a letter from your employer stating that you work from home for their convenience. If you work from home merely because it's convenient, you don't qualify. You would then need to rigorously document your home office expenses, and make sure it is used 100% as your office (i.e. no TV in there, the kids or significant other don't ever use your computer, etc). If it's a shared space you don't qualify. Here's a link to the IRS web site, which in turn has a link to Pub 587, "Business Use of your Home." It should answer your questions:

Home Office Deduction
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 11, 2007, 08:20 AM
    I wouldn't do it. I've been running a side biz out of my home for 20 years and have never taken the deduction. The amount you gain is very small and the potential risks of audit is just not worth it.
    delite Posts: 202, Reputation: 3

Jun 11, 2007, 05:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dweyburn
    I am a virtual worker, telecommuter, whatever you want to call it, for a large company that I do not own. Can I take a home-office deduction as if I were self-employed for the part of my apartment that I use exclusively for my office space?
    You cannot deduct home office expenses unless your employer authorizes you to utilize a part of your home for his business purposes and not reimbursed. As you described this is unlikely and no deduction is available.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 13, 2007, 11:17 AM
    I tend to agree with Delite and Ebaines. The home office deduction is REAL HARD to justify if you are an employee.

However, if you are running a business, then it is much easier to justify, but you must use the office EXCLUSIVELY for the business.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Social Security tax for self employed - follow up [ 3 Answers ]

I posted a message earlier asking if switching the 1099 from my spouse to my name would save on our taxes See post: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/taxes/social-security-tax-self-employed-95756.html#post430780 Now I have a follow up question. This income is derived from Google Adsense and the...

Social Security tax for self employed [ 1 Answers ]

My spouse and I work for different employers for w2 wages and we also run a web business that generates considerable 1099 income. At this time the web business income is reported on a 1099 in my spouses name, however I make twice the w2 wage income as my spouse. Would switching the 1099 into my...

Moving 401k funds to rollover IRA while still employed at the same company [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I was told that you can withdraw your retirement funds and then get them back in within 60 days and not have to pay any penalties. If this is correct, does this mean that I can withdraw my 401k funds and move them into a rollover IRA within 60 days without any penalties? Thanks in advance...

Tax rate self employed [ 1 Answers ]

Self employed tax rates for when get paid from working

How to pay/file tax: F-1 OPT self-employed [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am on F-1 OPT and would like to work self-employed in the field I studied. More specifically, as an individual engineering consultant. Please help me with the following questions. (1) Is this legal? (2) Are there special procedures I need to go through? (e.g. register business)...

View more questions Search