Jun 9, 2007, 06:13 AM
    Islam 101

Islam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The religion of Islam

The Gospel Of Islam
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2007, 06:14 AM
    This is a frequent question, so here is the link to threads that cover some of that information:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/search...archid=1410397
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2007, 06:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyc56
    What are the central beliefs of Islam

shygrneyzs,
    The link you gave does not seem to be there anymore, so I am just providing the necessary information, hope you don't mind!

------------------------
    http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamen...s.html#Lesson2

Lesson 2: The 5 Pillars of Islam

To testify that there is no true God but Allah and that Muhammad (saas), is His last Messenger and the last of prophets.

To perform the obligatory Prayers (5 times a day).

To Pay ZAKAT (Poor-due once a year).

To Fast during the month of Ramadan.

To perform Hajj and Umrah (Pilgrimage - Once in lifetime, if one is capable of).

Lesson 3: The Fundamental Articles of Iman (Faith)

To believe:

In Allah.

In His Angels.

In His revealed Books.

In His Messengers.

In the Last day or Resurrection.

In al-Qadr - Pre-ordainments [i.e. whatever Allah has ordained must come to pass - in other words, fate and destiny].

Lesson 4: Tawheed (Islamic Monotheism)

Tawheed (Islamic Monotheism) has three aspects:

Oneness of [the Lordship of Allah] - "Tawheed al Rububiyyah". To believe that there is only one Lord for all the universe, Its Creator, Organizer, Planner, Sustainer and Giver of Security etc. and that is Allah.

Oneness of the worship of Allah - "Tawheed al Uluhiyyah". To believe that none has the right to be worshipped (e.g. by praying, invoking, asking for help (from the unseen), swearing, slaughtering sacrificing, giving charity, Fasting, and Pilgrimage etc,) should only be directed to Allah.

Oneness of the Names and the qualities of Allah, "Tawheed al Asma was-Sifat". To believe that:
    We must not name or qualify Allah except with what He or His Messenger, has named or qualified Him.

None deserve to be named or qualified with the Names or Qualifications of Allah; e.g. Al-Karim (All-Generous).

We must confirm all of Allah�s Qualifications which Allah has stated in His Book (the Holy Qur�an) or mentioned through His Messenger Muhammad (saas), without changing them or ignoring them completely or twisting the meanings or giving resemblance to any of the created things. Allah is present over His Throne, as mentioned in the Qur�an (20:5).

The Most Beneficent Allah "Istawa" (rose over) the (Mighty) Throne, and that Allah descends to the (nearest) Heaven to us on the Day of �Arafat� (i.e. the 9th of Dhul Hijja), and also during the last third part of the night as mentioned by the Prophet, but He is with us by His Knowledge, not by His Supreme Entity (Bi Dhatihi).

"There is nothing like unto Him and He is All-Hearer, the All-Seer". (Qur�an 42:11)

This Ayah (verse) confirms the quality of hearing and the quality of the sight of Allah without any resemblance to others.

He, also says:

"To one whom I have created with Both My Hands". (Qur�an 38:75)

And He, Says:

"The Hand of Allah is over their hands". (Qur�an 48:10)

This confirms two Hands for Allah, but there is no similarity for them. This is the faith of all the true believers, and was the faith of all the prophets of Allah, from �May Peace be upon him� Noah, Abraham, Moses and Jesus till the last of the Prophets Muhammad (saas). It is not like as some people think that Allah is present here, there and everywhere. This is not true. Allah tells us that He is above Heaven, over His Throne.

These three aspects of Tawheed are included in the meaning of "La ilaha ill-Allah" [None has the right to be worshipped but Allah].

It is essential to follow Allah�s Messenger Muhammad (saas), in the right path and it is a part of Tawheed al Uluhiyyah.

This is included in the meaning,

"I testify that Muhammad (saas), is Allah�s Messenger", and this means, "None has the right to be followed after Allah�s Book (the Qur�an) but Allah�s Messenger ". (Qur�an 59:7 and 3:31)
    ------------------------------------
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2007, 06:31 AM
    Look at the links at the very bottom of this page. This question is asked about once a week here, every single week. Must be some lazy teachers regurgitating the same curriculum.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 7, 2007, 06:33 AM
    I'd have to agree with you NK, it was an exam question in my Survey of World Religion course.
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2007, 06:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    I'd have to agree with you NK, it was an exam question in my Survey of World Religion course.
    Sorry about that, but as the link did not seem to work... :(

Next time I will PM one of you to be sure if its an exam question...
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2007, 06:53 AM
    No need firm, just look at the bottom of the page in the Similar Questions area. I guess since I've been here awhile I start to see patterns. :)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 7, 2007, 07:22 AM
    No problem FB, you will learn the patterns the longer you are here. No harm done hun. ;)
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2007, 08:32 AM
    Thanks J9 and Nk for your help...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Central beliefs of Islam [ 3 Answers ]

What are the central beliefs of islam

How can you force your beliefs on someone? [ 66 Answers ]

:confused: Please tell me if someone simply states what they believe how is that forcing your beliefs?

Central beliefs Of Islam [ 1 Answers ]

What are the central beliefs of Islam and how are they reflected in the Five Pillars

Almost the same beliefs [ 5 Answers ]

Ive been reading the conversation Orange was having (sorry,Iforgot with who) I'm really enlightened to find out that Jews believe in an afterlife; this shaol u speak of where they wait for a messiah when they die. The Jews I've known pretty closely always gave the impression that they were "really"...

Changing beliefs [ 26 Answers ]

I am 26 and Jewish. I was raised partially by my family but mostly in several foster homes, with each one being of a different religious persuasion. First I was in a home where I went to a Chabad school (orthodox jews). In this home, we prayed and studied the torah every day, kept glatt kosher, I...

View more questions Search