Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zztadams Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2007, 06:17 PM
    Is it Plain Flour or SR Flour?
    I have some flour stored in an unnamed container. Is there some way to tell if it if SR Flour or Plain Flour apart from cooking with it?
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2007, 02:06 AM
    Only thing I can suggest is cooking a small amount or looking at the grains ones courser than the other but if the tubs aren't even colour coded you don't have a lot of choice to do anything other than cook with it I'm afraid.
    maggiemae Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Jun 18, 2007, 05:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by zztadams
    I have some flour stored in an unnamed container. Is there some way to tell if it if SR Flour or Plain Flour apart from cooking with it?
    There are two ways to tell! One is to rub a bit between your fingers; the self-rising flour will feel a little gritty. The other way to tell is to taste it - the self-rising flour will be salty.
    Hope this helps!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it plain flour or self-raising? [ 15 Answers ]

I have some flour in a storage jar and I can't remember if it is plain or self-raising.! :confused: :confused: :confused: I seem to recall that there is some way of telling, like by mixing it with water and seeing if it bubbles, but... I tried that with some flour that is in a bag still, so I...

Plain Flour [ 3 Answers ]

In Australia, recipes either use plain flour or self raising flour. I wish to use an American recipe. May plain flour be used in place of 'all purpose flour'?

Converting plain flour to self raising [ 2 Answers ]

G'day, Just wondering if anyone out there knows the ratio of plain flour to raising agent to convert it to self rasing flour, :) taa whingypom

Plain flour [ 3 Answers ]

Could you tell me how to use plain flour in self-rising flour recipes?

Plain flour means [ 1 Answers ]

HI What does a plain flour mean.. is it rice flour?

View more questions Search