Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FTP Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2007, 03:16 PM
    Bankruptcy off your credit report
    This is a wonderful site. I was reading another persons question regarding removing bankruptcy off your record takes about ten years. I am curious if bankruptcy is taken off your record after ten years are you obligated to report that you have had a bankruptcy after it is taken out your record? I notice that in credit applications they always ask this question. If your bankruptcy is dismissed and off your record should you still answer yes to this question? What about people who want to change their names. Not entire name. I know they ask this question to them too. From what I understand they ask you because they do not want people who have had bankruptcy try to hide under a different name. I could understand that but my girlfriend was adopted by maternal grandparents and want to change only her last name to her paternal last name. She has filed bankruptcy but her bankruptcy has been dismissed and its been over 10 years, would she still be able to do this or will she not be able to because she has had a bankruptcy in the past? I told her I was not sure but I figure bankruptcy is not only based to be known by name but more by social security number right? If you change your name what difference does it make if they can still find out through your social security number. Am I right? Help
    gazelleintense Posts: 175, Reputation: 13

Jun 8, 2007, 05:18 PM
    I'd say answer the question honestly. If it asks have you ever filed bankruptcy, answer honestly.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 8, 2007, 08:01 PM
    Yes, while it is off your credit report, it is public knowledge and easy to check from court records.

Never lie,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit report [ 11 Answers ]

On my credit report I have a collection agency that reported first in 1999 Just when that was about to be removed from my credit report they (the collection agency)sold the account to another collection agency who re-reported it and now it will be 7 more years before it will be removed.it is the...

Credit report [ 4 Answers ]

Does anybody now where to get a free credit report and score when you have no credit card to give them Thank you Demon

Credit Report [ 7 Answers ]

I have contacted all my creditors listed on my 3 credit reports and settled my long past due accounts with all but 1 and will work on this 1 this month. Here's the deal - I am longing to be a home owner and my score is poor (535). I have made mistakes in my 40+ years and now ready to do right. I...

Credit Report after bankruptcy [ 5 Answers ]

I had to file bankruptcy because of a sick house (mold infested) that almost killed my daughter and I. I have and had an excellent income, was never late on anything, but could not afford to fix the home and pay rent for another place to live. Insurance would not fix anything and the cost was...

Credit Report [ 2 Answers ]

If you purchase a vehicle at a buy here pay here lot and they don't view your credit to get this vehicle can they report a repossession on your credit report years after the vehicle was taken back?

View more questions Search