Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TERRDEE Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2005, 12:28 PM
    Norton Internet Security 2005 Query
    Hi everone - I am quite new to this so please bear with me. I have been trying to install NIS 2005 on my computer for the past few days with major problems.
    Eventually I have got everything working except for Intrusion Detection which I cannot switch on. I get an error message and the link to symantec advises trying to repair the files (which I have done following their instructions) but this hasn't worked, and the next step is uninstalling and reinstalling NIS 2005 (which includes some scary instructions about backing up the registry etc and I don't really want to do this - and I am on dial up and it takes for ever!)
    I have read some horror stories about NIS 2005 (which I wish I had read before buying it!)
    I am running AVG free version, spysubtract, spybot search and destroy, and adaware - would it be OK just to let Norton run as it is along with these others?(and maybe change to something like Zonealarm when my subscription runs out?) :confused:
    Thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 1, 2005, 05:30 AM
    Frankly I would just uninstall Norton and forget it. I'm not a big fan of Norton security utilities. They tend to sink their hooks too deeply into the OS causing more problems then they are worth. I would stick with Zonealarm and the rest instead.

Jun 1, 2005, 10:06 AM
    Thanks for reply, but if I did not uninstall it am I still "covered" with the other programs I have running? :confused:
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 1, 2005, 10:59 AM
    Yes you are. You have anti-virus, anti-spyware and a firewall.

Jun 2, 2005, 12:13 AM
    Thanks Scott - that has put my mind at rest - thanks for quick response :p
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2005, 04:58 AM
    Covered
    Hi,
    Yes, you will be covered very nicely without the Norton.
    Also, here is a link to a great free program you did not mention. It is Spyware Blaster, which stops spyware from getting into your computer in the first place.
    It can be updated with definitions when you like. It is at:
    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbdownload.html

I have had NO problems with spyware stuff since using it for months now.
    Best wishes,
    fredg

Jun 5, 2005, 06:43 AM
    Thanks Fredg - will take a look at Spywareblaster :)

Jul 1, 2005, 03:17 AM
    Update
    Folks
    Just thought I would let you know the latest on my NIS 2005 problem - I was looking at all the various programs I had running on start up and noticed that Ad-watch loaded up automatically and detected a registry adjustment every time - I terminated this program and Norton then refreshed and everything came up with a green light including the intruder detecter. I then deleted Ad-watch completely and NIS loads up correctly every time now.

I still run the various other programs (Ad-aware, Spyware,etc) so I am fairly happy everything is fine now. :D

Terrdee
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2005, 04:51 AM
    Norton
    HI,
    I am so glad you got everything running properly. Isn't it great to have something work out OK?
    Best wishes,
    fredg

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Please Help I can't Uninstall Norton Internet Security 2005! [ 3 Answers ]

:mad:Please help I have been trying for 2 days to uninstall Norton Internet Security 2005, the Anti virus was showing as "Files corrupt" advised me to uninstall and reinstall, two days later after various attempts and reading on the Symantec website still none the wiser. Tried Add/Remove programs...

Norton kicks me off internet after 10 min [ 5 Answers ]

About a month ago the Norton security program expired on my laptop. My computer geek friend loaded the latest version. Ever since then I can remain on the internet for just under 10 minutes before it kicks me off. My e-mail continues to work fine. My friend says he will look at it, but has been too...

Norton internet security 2005 antispyware edition [ 2 Answers ]

I have tried to uninstall the above and it is now part uninstalled as something happened while uninstalling now I can not get in to uninstall again to remove the rest. HELP!

Norton Internet Security [ 2 Answers ]

Hi guys Please help me I have recently installed Norton Internet Security 2005 onto my XP machine. I have created a situation whereby I am still the administrator but have changed my name to dad. This now means I can't log off as dad and log back on as administrator. I have tried creating a new...

Windows ME & Norton 2005 [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Dell Dimension 4300 with 1.85GHz P4, 8 kilobyte primary memory cache, 256 kilobyte secondary memory cache, and a recent increase of RAM from 256 to the maximum 512MB. The RAM increase was an attempt to get my PC performance back to a usable level. I had been using various yearly versions...

View more questions Search