Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    up4fun75 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2007, 11:45 AM
    Rent and Security Deposit
    Hello,

I'm hoping you can give me good advice. I found a place to rent. I gave the tenant (whom is not on the lease) $600 for rent for the month of June. I was in the process of moving in. I also gave the tenant $600 for a security deposit. The tenant and I had a dispute and now he wants me to move whatever I moved in out. I said that is fine but I would like to have the $600 back in rent and the $600 back from the security deposit. He told me that he wasn't giving it back to me and basically said I screwed myself. Does he have a right to hold onto the $1200? I haven't changed my address and I hadn't signed a lease since I wasn't fully moved. Is there a way I can obtain my money back?
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2007, 11:51 AM
    Why did you give $1200 to someone who didn't have the right to lease the premises? You can file in small claims.
    morgancontessa Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2007, 11:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by up4fun75
    Hello,

I'm hoping you can give me good advice. I found a place to rent. I gave the tenant (whom is not on the lease) $600 for rent for the month of June. I was in the process of moving in. I also gave the tenant $600 for a security deposit. The tenant and I had a dispute and now he wants me to move whatever I moved in out. I said that is fine but I would like to have the $600 back in rent and the $600 back from the security deposit. He told me that he wasn't giving it back to me and basically said I screwed myself. Does he have a right to hold onto the $1200? I haven't changed my address and I hadn't signed a lease since I wasn't fully moved. Is there a way I can obtain my money back?
    Yes but, it may take some time. You have a pretty good small claims court case depending on where you live it shouldn't cost you much in court cost and when you sue you can sue for that also. File in the person you want to sue local area at the local courthouse also write a demand letter demanding your money back and give the reason that you're requesting your money back and mail it certified mail.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ex-roommate refuses to pay rent and deposit back [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I moved in with someone I considered like a brother into an apartment in Philadelphia in May 2005. I knew him for over a year and a half before we moved in together when he was in college and I had started working. He would have money issues and I would pay for his share of the rent and...

Rent and deposit in Ohio [ 6 Answers ]

I just moved to Ohio I got a job and I found an apartment to but I need help with my deposit and first months rent (I got it after that) how can I get help?:confused:

Rent and deposit refund [ 6 Answers ]

Answered ad in paper for house for rent, talked with landlord later that evening after seeing the house. Met with the landlord and gave her the rent and deposit, being $770.00 cash. Landlord was going out of town the next day so we gave her the money so we could clean and move in small non needed...

Security Deposit & Pre-Paid Rent [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Everyone: I am new to this site & need some advice & thought this would be a great avenue. Here is my dilemma: I had been renting a condo in PA (I live in TX) for almost a year. Since I have not been able to use the unit since March, I was looking to sub-let it. I informed the owner,...

One of Co-Tenants refusing to pay rent and security deposit [ 2 Answers ]

In my house in New Brunswick, NJ, one of my co-tenants is making an extremely unfair demand that would cause 8 of us to suffer unfairly because of that one person. The co-tenant says that if we don't agree to the demand, then she won't pay her security deposit and rent. Do we have to worry...

View more questions Search