Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pramodkpandey Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2007, 10:25 AM
    Portable hard disk disk not opening
    I inserted my portable hard disk in the usb drive and before opening scanned it for viruses.after about half the scan the scanning got stuck at one point.at that instant all programs became non responsive. I then removed my portable disk immediately.then all programs became responsive. But when I connected it again it again made all programs non responsive.also the portable disk icon is not coming now. How do I open my disk now without losing any data in it.
    sbk100 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2007, 02:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pramodkpandey
    i inserted my portable hard disk in the usb drive and before opening scanned it for viruses.after about half the scan the scanning got stuck at one point.at that instant all programs became non responsive. i then removed my portable disk immediately.then all programs became responsive. but when i connected it again it again made all programs non responsive.also the portable disk icon is not coming now. how do i open my disk now without loosing any data in it.
    Looks like when you connect the drive AV scans for virus and hangs the system .
    Since you pulled the drive without stopping the device using windows it might have corrupted the media( drive) . To verify if the drive is fine connect the drive to another computer and c if it reads ? Hope this helps
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Jun 12, 2007, 02:35 AM
    You should never remove a USB device without stopping it first, there's a high probability you've wiped the data from it (I know this from bitter experience!).

As the poster above suggests, try it on another machine, if it still doesn't work you will need to speak to a data-recovery expert, which is likely to cost you!

Here's hoping you didn't have anything important on that drive!
    pramodkpandey Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2007, 07:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sbk100
    Looks like when you connect the drive AV scans for virus and hangs the system .
    Since you pulled the drive without stopping the device using windows it might have corrupted the media( drive) . To verify if the drive is fine connect the drive to another computer and c if it reads ? Hope this helps
    :) it works fine on other pcs.I scanned it on another PC and now its working:)
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Sep 21, 2007, 08:16 AM
    I would run scandisk on it to be sure. There could be some corrupt files. In my computer, right click it, go to tools, and scan for errors. Be sure to check the box that says automatically correct errors.
    muszynskir Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Sep 21, 2007, 10:22 PM
    There are also third party apps you might want to try before you give up and reformat the card. Google "picture recovery memory card" or something like that. Here's a few I found:

Photo Recovery Software to Recover Lost Photos - Card Recovery
    PhotoRescue - Download Page - Expert 2.1.690 version
    Will00 Posts: 66, Reputation: 3

Sep 22, 2007, 07:00 PM
    There could be many, many problems that could occur and result in such a occurrence. One may be the actual program you are using to scan the drive. Also you should ask yourself some questions, such as do you have any programs running while the scan is in process? Have you downloaded or installed anything recently? Has your computer had any time or different behavior recently?
    smellypig80 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2009, 08:41 AM
    Hi, my problem is similar to pramodkpandey. When I plug in my portable hard disk in the usb drive and I can see it appear at the Safety Remove Hardware but when I open My Comptuer, the drive location is not there. But when I try to open other application it got stuck at one point. All programs became non responsive. When I removed my portable disk immediately all programs became responsive, but when I connected it again it again made all programs non responsive. Can any one help?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unallocated hard disk [ 1 Answers ]

Hi My old disk with data is showing the unallocated When I right click on that in disk management it is not showing iniliaze option Please tell me what I do...

Can't see hard disk [ 1 Answers ]

I have two hard disks,one of 40 GB and the other of 200 GB.On the first one I had a 10 GB primary partition and a 30 GB extended one.on the primary partition was installed windows xp.n the extended partition there were two logical drives,one of 20 Gb and the other of 10 GB.I had installed linux on...

Hard disk [ 1 Answers ]

BIOS detects the hard disk and but in hard disk configuration I did not see the cylindar and Track and Sector are there. Will send me the suggestion to repair my hard disk. Deep

Hard disk problem [ 4 Answers ]

Hai, This is sandeep kumar. I am having problem with my hard disk which is seagate. Till day before yesterday it was working fine. But today it is not even detecting. I am in confusion what to do. I don't know what may be the problem in tha disk. So can you please suggest me what may be the...

Cannot access hard disk [ 5 Answers ]

I have 2 HDs on my XP sysyem.Suddenly,I cannot access the slave,boot up locks up on"verifying DMI pool data". If I disconnect D: all is well.If I define d: as master and diconnect c:,I can then boot up from floppy and access the drive. The drive (20GIG) has partitions primary 8,extended 19+ and I...

View more questions Search