Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Meh22 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2007, 08:42 AM
    Do I need a retaining wall?
    Hi,

Sorry for the long post...

I've just had a 15x24 ft above ground pool installed. There is a slope of about a foot, so at one end the pool is ground level, and a foot in-ground at the other. The guys working for the pool installer say they're finished the job, but they've left a 1 foot wide and one foot deep trench around the pool and the end that sits a foot in the ground.

Needless to say, this is ugly, probably dangerous, and if left alone, will probably erode, putting the integrity of the pool structure at risk.

When I made arrangements with the installer, he gave me a tax-included total for the entire job, advised he would warranty the installation for 5 years, explained the charge for installing the pool itself, the charge per inch of grade, and discussed with me different options for the location of the pool to save money on earth removal.

He was very detailed in explaining what he was going to do, including setting up my heater, filter, pump and even giving me a brief training session on how to look after the pool, but said nothing about leaving a big gaping trench around one side of it.

Firstly, I don't think I should have to pay for it, but given the dimensions of the pool and the size of the trench around it, would I need a retaining wall of some sort?

And lastly, if so, does anybody know how much approximately it would cost to have put in?

:(
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 8, 2007, 08:50 AM
    You can fill that trench with gravel or sand with no ill affect. Some have also used soild but that just creates a new trimming issue. The weight of the water is tremendous and will not allow the gravel to cave the sides in. It is more of a landscaping issue for you than a construction issue for the installer. It may still be worth your time to bring it to their attention that this is not what you expected.

Jun 8, 2007, 09:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    You can fill that trench with gravel or sand with no ill affect. Some have also used soild but that just creates a new trimming issue. The weight of the water is tremendous and will not allow the gravel to cave the sides in. It is more of a landscaping issue for you than a construction issue for the installer. It may still be worth your time to bring it to their attention that this is not what you expected.
    Thanks for the quick reply. My wife called me at work and says the guys in the install crew said they can't fill the trench without voiding the warranty and suggested a wood retaining wall.

I also thought that the relatively shallow trench would have been safe to just fill with earth, or gravel, but I guess I'm going to have to wait until I can speak with the owner to try to work this out.

I just don't get how he could fail to mention something like this to me when going over the details. When I bought the pool, the pool company said, "this is the guy that does most of our installs, he's great" so I suppose if I don't get any satisfaction dealing with the installer, I'll speak to the pool company about what's happened, because unless the installer takes care of it, I feel he either made a mistake and doesn't want to take responsibility for it, or has been intentionally dishonest.

Thanks again for the reply.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 8, 2007, 03:37 PM
    I buried mine 2" under ground and forgot about the warranty. When I removed it 16 years later there were some small holes in the wall and bottom trach but the earth held it all together.
    serendipity pools Posts: 73, Reputation: 6

Jun 15, 2007, 10:26 AM
    Hi there,

I have installed above ground pools, and this problem you are describing is generally not covered by the installation of your pool. This work is relating to the landscaping of your backyard. It is understandable that you did not understand what the result of the installation would look like, however this finishing detail should be covered by yourself and not the pool company who built your above ground pool. I would classify this as a miscommunication as opposed to negligence on behalf of your builder.

In terms of a retaining wall, this is not required. Almost all above ground pool owners backfill around the perimeter of their pools after installation. You should backfill with sand as gravel backfill will have the tendency to hold water unless you install a weeping tile or drainage system as well.

I hope this information helps

Steve Goodale
    Serendipity Pools

Jun 16, 2007, 11:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by serendipity pools
    Hi there,

I would classify this as a miscommunication as opposed to negligence on behalf of your builder.
    In the end, the installer admitted he failed to explain the result in detail. He ended up putting tarp down and back filling with dirt. I'm a bit worried about this, but he was adamant that it won't rust.

Should I be concerned?

Thanks for the reply.
    canadianhotbox Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Jun 17, 2007, 04:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Meh22
    Hi,

Sorry for the long post...

I've just had a 15x24 ft above ground pool installed. There is a slope of about a foot, so at one end the pool is ground level, and a foot in-ground at the other. The guys working for the pool installer say they're finished the job, but they've left a 1 foot wide and one foot deep trench around the pool and the end that sits a foot in the ground.

Needless to say, this is ugly, probably dangerous, and if left alone, will probably erode, putting the integrity of the pool structure at risk.

When I made arrangements with the installer, he gave me a tax-included total for the entire job, advised he would warranty the installation for 5 years, explained the charge for installing the pool itself, the charge per inch of grade, and discussed with me different options for the location of the pool to save money on earth removal.

He was very detailed in explaining what he was going to do, including setting up my heater, filter, pump and even giving me a brief training session on how to look after the pool, but said nothing about leaving a big gaping trench around one side of it.

Firstly, I don't think I should have to pay for it, but given the dimensions of the pool and the size of the trench around it, would I need a retaining wall of some sort?

And lastly, if so, does anybody know how much approximately it would cost to have put in?

:(
    Sorry to say that yes you will need a wall and if was not talked about in the over all job then you have to pay for it. Think about it this guy you got there to instale the pool is there to do just that instal the pool not do landskaping and putting in retaning walls sorry to let you know but that's all you
    serendipity pools Posts: 73, Reputation: 6

Jun 19, 2007, 09:07 AM
    Rust can be an issue for above ground pools. The truth is that above ground pools are not made to last (sorry all you above ground pool owners). The expected lifetime for an inground pool is over 30 years for a properly constructed pool - for above ground pools realistically you should expect 10 years or less of trouble free operation. This is why an in ground pool starts around $30,000 where above ground pools start around $2000.

It is highly unlikely that you will experience enough rusting around the bottom edge of your pool to cause structural damage in the next 10 years. How much faster or slower will a wall section sitting 2" above grade rust than a wall section sitting 2" below grade? Probably not a significant amount.

The pool is installed - the trench is filled in with dirt and the summer is here. Stop being worried and start enjoying your pool. Understandably you want to receive the best value for your purchase and maximise the enjoyment that you and your family have with it. If you absolutely need an option to reduce the extent of rusting and will not get sleep until you have one, you could dig up the trench and apply a rust inhibiting spray, grease or paint to the bottom section of your walls.

I hope this information is helpful.

Steve Goodale
    Serendipity Pools

Jun 19, 2007, 12:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by serendipity pools
    The pool is installed - the trench is filled in with dirt and the summer is here. Stop being worried and start enjoying your pool. Understandably you want to receive the best value for your purchase and maximise the enjoyment that you and your family have with it. If you absolutely need an option to reduce the extent of rusting and will not get sleep until you have one, you could dig up the trench and apply a rust inhibiting spray, grease or paint to the bottom section of your walls.

I hope this information is helpful.

Steve Goodale
    Serendipity Pools
    I thought about the possibility of some sort of rust inhibiting spray, but not until after the trench had been filled already. Hopefully the tarp will prevent too much rust from forming, but I'd certainly be happy if I got ten years out of the pool. I'll more than likely move or scrap the pool for an inground down the road within that time.

Thanks again for your replies.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Retaining wall [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all I have a 1.9 metre drop in elevation from my grade line on my home to the back alley and was wondering what the specs of lumber has to be tobuild a retaining wall, sections will still be 8 feet. What size posts and what thickness of planks do I have to use, and finally how far up towards...

Small Concrete Retaining Wall [ 2 Answers ]

I have a cement walk that is 2' above my driveway. The builder put a small concrete block retaining wall to cover the transition between the heights. One of the concrete blocks (I have a total of 4, very small wall) has been damaged, and the soil from underneath the walk is coning out. If I...

Pressure treated retaining wall [ 2 Answers ]

I'm considering a tapered retaining wall - L shaped. The 90 degree would be the highest point of approx 30" inches. The long side is about 50 feet long and the short end about 10 feet long. I plan to fill in the area and make it level for a slab that will wrap around an in-ground pool. I plan...

Fence with 2x6 retaining wall [ 1 Answers ]

I am building a wood fence with 2" metal posts. I am going to backfill in front of the fence and am placing 2X6 pressure treated footer along the face of the posts to retain the fill. To insure that the wall remains in tact, I am placing additional short posts within the 8' fence spacing. The...

View more questions Search