Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    -Mary- Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2007, 03:31 PM
    Temporomandibular joint syndrome
    Does anyone know any good remedies to stop the pain of TMJ? My jaw won't stop swelling... it does it for no reason and I can't concentrate on my school work because of the pain someone please help me. :(
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2007, 03:59 PM
    You need to see a dentist and possibly an orthodontist. Take OTC anti-inflammatories for the time being. Try using a night guard, as you might be grinding in your sleep.
    pompano Posts: 293, Reputation: 40

Jun 19, 2007, 06:45 PM
    Well,you can have oral surgery,but it's expensive.My jaw clicks and pops when I open and shut my mouth.I take motrin,and try not to pop it.Sometimes it causes headches.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2007, 08:24 PM
    Avoid eating chewy foods like bagels, gum, etc. Advil/ibuprofen is good for both inflammation and pain. Try not to open your mouth too wide when you yawn (keep the tip of your tongue on the roof of your mouth to prevent yourself from opening too wide). A night guard is a good option but have one made that is specific for your mouth not an OTC one. Cold compresses on the joint area can also help with the swelling.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 19, 2007, 08:43 PM
    A chiropractor fixed my sister's jaw after the dentist couldn't. She never again had trouble with it.
    Xrayman Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 193
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2007, 08:48 PM
    Usually this is an indication of mandibular misalignment-you probably have an overbite, this can be corrected with a biteplate or braces, the teeth need to collide with each other on top of the other, not behind or in front, you need to see your dentist, then an orthodontist.

I had a biteplate for this reason-fixed it temporarily, because I gave it away before I should have.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Degeorge Syndrome [ 30 Answers ]

My daughter has partial degeorge syndrome she now 13. This I know is rare. If anyone has a child who has it I would love to hear from them.

Tourette's Syndrome [ 2 Answers ]

My father and I have Tourette's so I can only assume it's a genetic thing. The only good thing about it our syndrome is that it's not anything violent. Just a series of annoying tics and gestures and whatnot. Whether it be blinking, moving my ears, expanding my nostrils, raising my eyebrows, it...

De George Syndrome [ 11 Answers ]

I am a psychotherapist who has a patient who has been diagnosed with "De George Syndrome". I am looking for information concerning the symptoms and the management as well as prognosis of the syndrome.

What is hunter/hurler syndrome [ 2 Answers ]

After a recent allergy testing,I noticed on my copy of the checkout sheet the dx was hunter/hurler syndrome code 477.9. at my subsequent visit with the dr, it wasn't mentioned and I had not noticed it on the form at that time. Hs dx was chronic maxillary sinusitis. I wld just like to know what the...

Carcinoid syndrome [ 2 Answers ]

Sir what is Carcinoid syndrome , what are the symptoms , cause and relief

View more questions Search