Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2007, 02:22 PM
    APA Style Guide
    I'd like to purchase an APA style guide to use as a reference when writing papers. I've browsed online and can't decide which one will be of the most use to me. I don't think I need the full guide, a pocket guide should do. Really I'm looking for a guide which will detail citation style, references, and paper style. Something pretty simple, in other words. Does anyone have any person experience with a guide which might be of use?
    jmillerascs Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jun 7, 2007, 06:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jillianleab
    I'd like to purchase an APA style guide to use as a reference when writing papers. I've browsed online and can't decide which one will be of the most use to me. I don't think I need the full guide, a pocket guide should do. Really I'm looking for a guide which will detail citation style, references, and paper style. Something pretty simple, in other words. Does anyone have any person experience with a guide which might be of use?
    I teach APA in my eighth grade English class. All I do is Google APA every time I teach citing, quoting, quotation marks, etc. The rules for APA are not written in stone, so any book you buy will date itself. Some of the sites; however, are updated more frequently.
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2007, 07:44 PM
    Thanks jmillerascs. I've been using Google searches so far, but I seem to do a lot better with a book in front of me! :) I've only got a few quarters left, so I know the material will be dated, but I thought if I could pick one up used for $15 or so it might be helpful. Do you have a particular website you prefer?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2007, 07:48 PM
    Have you checked the college bookstore? Sometimes they offer used books or there are students that post used books for sale. Did you check eBay? eBay - APA book, Textbooks, Education, Nonfiction Books items on eBay.com
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2007, 07:53 PM
    Thanks, shygrneyzs, but my classes are online, and the course material are ordered from a website. No college bookstore to check, unfortunately! I didn't check eBay because I figured I'd have the same trouble with Amazon, not being able to know the content of the book. I went to my local (regular) bookstore today, but they didn't have much except the full apa manual, which I think is a bit excessive. I might have to bite the bullet and buy one blindly! I might check out the library and see if I can pick a good one from there...

Thanks!
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2007, 07:55 PM
    With eBay, you can contact the seller and ask whatever question you want about the book. Publication date, etc.

Hope you find what you need.
    jmillerascs Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jun 7, 2007, 08:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jillianleab
    I completely understand your preference for a real book in front of you, I tend to be that way, too. I just found that I'd teach something to my students, and realize later that the material I gave them was dated. My favorite site is "The Owl at Purdue"; I find it easy to navitage and accurate. Good luck as you wrap up your studies, Jillianleab.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Style position [ 2 Answers ]

What is the right position for typing?

What style? [ 8 Answers ]

So I just started kung fu school and the master teaches basically whatever you want to learn, he asked me what I want to specialize in after I clenched the fundamentals, I have no idea,but I do want something that has good practical usage (versus regular fighters such as people around school),...

Which style first? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am 30 yr old male. Want to learn martial arts. I am lean, 5'9", not muscular, but I show good stamina in aerobic exercises or sports like badminton. Based on this information, can anybody advise me which martial art should I learn first? While going through some material on different...

View more questions Search