Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MsTaylor23 Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2007, 09:14 AM
    Algebraic expression
    The Brickhouse I am building is 6 feet longer than it is wide. Write an algebraic expression for the perimeter if the length is expressed as x. If x equals 20, what is the perimeter?
    Superfly999 Posts: 235, Reputation: 14

Jun 7, 2007, 09:22 AM
    We won't do your homework questions for you.
    You were given the assignment for you to learn.

If you come up with your own answer and post it for us to critique that is within reason.

Taken from -

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/math-s...board-b-u.html

Post an answer that you think is right then we can help you from there.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2007, 09:23 AM
    You don't specify what shape the brickhouse is...

Follow this logic:

what's the length in terms of x?

what's the width in terms of x?

what's the perimeter in terms of the length and width?

therefore what's the perimeter in terms of x?

if x is 20, what's the perimeter?

Questions like this are easily conquered if you just take baby steps.

Jun 7, 2007, 09:28 AM
    Excuse me? You rated me as rude, but this is the rules here. I was willing to help you but you didn't follow the rules therefore I couldn't help you in the way I wanted to. If I just straight out told you the answer you wouldn't be learning and it would get me in trouble. If you want to reconsider that disagree that would be nice.

Jun 7, 2007, 09:29 AM
    I don't even know where to start on this question. I am not asking for any answer. What steps would you take? Is that asking for you to do my homework? This isn't part of my homework.

Jun 7, 2007, 09:29 AM
    Excuse me, but YOU POSTED in homework help so of course I thought it was homework. I'm fine with that yes, but I just think it was wrong of you to disagree with me and give me a negative point for that.

Jun 7, 2007, 09:32 AM
    I am not on here to argue. I just want to learn. I got help from someone else so thank you for your time. Take care.
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2007, 09:32 AM
    MsTaylor, You will find that people on this site will be much more receptive to you if you state that it is homework (not just the question) and give some evidence that you have had a go, then they will be far happier to help you, and you won't get a message like the one that superfly gave.

It is the rules of the site and please realise that a lot of the questions we get here are from young kids who just want the answers and don't want to LEARN. On this site, we will only help people to learn.

Anyway, now that's out of the way, how are you getting on with an answer?

Jun 7, 2007, 09:36 AM
    I am new to this. I just registered yesterday so I am learning how this goes. I am looking for the right topics so I can receive help and not the answers. I just want to know the steps because I want to learn how to do the problem the correct way, and not my way even if I am coming up with the correct answer.

Jun 7, 2007, 09:37 AM
    I am trying to figure out the problem but I am stuck.

Jun 7, 2007, 09:39 AM
    Well you see, that is just fine. But we all have to follow the rules here. If you are learning math and it is not homework, try finding the science ---> Mathematics. If it is homework, there are many subjects in Education ---> Homework Help to get you the help you need. Also you can post in homework help even if it isn't homework but just wanting to learn something in general (be sure to say that it isn't homework at the top) Hope this helps.

*EDIT for post #10* show what you have done so far so we can help you more in detail so we can be within the rules

Jun 7, 2007, 09:44 AM
    I know this is a simple problem, but so far I have gotten 6x+w=0
    x=20
    6(20)+w=0
    120+w=0
    w=120
    the perimeter is 120
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2007, 09:47 AM
    can you give me an equation for width in terms of the length, x?

Jun 7, 2007, 09:48 AM
    There you go now I can help you :D

Quote Originally Posted by MsTaylor23
    The Brickhouse I am building is 6 feet longer than it is wide. Write an algebraic expression for the perimeter if the length is expressed as x. If x equals 20, what is the perimeter?
    It has been a while since I have done algebra but this is a farely simple problem. Lets break this down first.

x= length
    x=20
    so therefore 20=length

width = length - 6
    therefore width = 14

I'm guessing the house is a rectangle?

20+20+14+14 = 68

correct me if I'm wrong cap lol been a while

Jun 7, 2007, 09:55 AM
    I thank you so much. I apologize for the feedback. I wasn't trying to be a mean person. I just want some help. I understand you have to follow policy and I understand you don't want to get in trouble. I know that you have dealt with several people on here expecting answers when they don't want to work for them. I totally agree with you. Again, thanks and if there is a way I can change the rating, please let me know.
    kihumuro Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2007, 09:26 AM
    What is -10x-8+-16?
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2007, 09:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kihumuro
    What is -10x-8+-16?

See your thread that you started.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Algebraic nightmare [ 13 Answers ]

Hi guys! Right, I've got this maths question, and it's the first time in ages I've been honestly stumped as to where to even start! It's like this; x(squared) − x = 0 now I know that to get rid of the x squared I need to square root it, and thus both sides... but is that where I start? ...

DNA expression [ 2 Answers ]

Explain the process of prokaryotic protein biosynthesis by considering that the inheritable information for making proteins resides in nucleic acids (basically, describe this process of DNA expression as a set of biochemical reactions).

Idiomatic expression [ 1 Answers ]

hello good day... I ask what is the significance of idiomatic expression? And why should be learn idioms?

Radical Expression [ 1 Answers ]

3 cubed square foot -432

Algebraic Proof [ 1 Answers ]

I'm working on a Thermodynamics question on Work Done during compression. The book gives proof for a formula but I can't seem to follow one step of it. We are working with pressure,volume and temperature at different stages of compression. M is mass and R is the gas constant basic formulas...

View more questions Search