Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tinamina Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2007, 08:06 AM
    Will mulch against my house foundation cause bug problems?
    I recently ripped out a ton of out of control plants along the side of my house and replaced them with a few small bushes and flowers. I filled in the remaining space with hardwood mulch (with 3 layers of newspaper underneath.) Since then I have been reading about a possible link between mulch against a house and bugs or termites.

I live in Wisconsin where termites aren't much of a problem. The spot where the foundation of the house meets the siding is at least 14 inches off the ground.

Is the mulch okay or am I just asking for trouble??

Thanks!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 7, 2007, 08:18 AM
    You should be OK as long as the mulch is laying up against only the concrete house foundation, and there is a good gap between the mulch and your wood siding.
    tinamina Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2007, 11:24 AM
    Thanks! There is a good amount of space between the mulch and siding - at least a foot, if not more.
    Thank you!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 7, 2007, 11:55 AM
    The mulch is a better breeding ground for bugs than bare earth, especially if its damp and shaded. You can add a termite/ant barrier but many home owners don't like chemicals.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2007, 12:00 PM
    Mulch beds against a house are quite common. Code here calls for 8'' between the ground and frame of the house. As ebains said, you should be fine.
    beemer94 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2007, 05:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tinamina
    I recently ripped out a ton of out of control plants along the side of my house and replaced them with a few small bushes and flowers. I filled in the remaining space with hardwood mulch (with 3 layers of newspaper underneath.) Since then I have been reading about a possible link between mulch against a house and bugs or termites.

I live in Wisconsin where termites aren't much of a problem. The spot where the foundation of the house meets the siding is at least 14 inches off the ground.

Is the mulch okay or am I just asking for trouble????

Thanks!
    I've used mulch many a time and found no problem with bugs. Termites will come from underneath where you can't see them. I live in Pennsylvania and we have problems with them. We even had it in an all brick home. If you are worried about it, most pest control companies will come out and check you home for free. Mulch is a good way of helping to keep moisture in your ground and that helps save having to water plants more.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garage Settling/ Foundation Problems [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I bought a 20 year old house 6 months ago. The garage floor has settled and it slopes down in the middle. If it rains the water will pool into the middle of the garage floor. Additionally, the garage wall closest to the house sits directly above the basement wall.(see attachment) The corner...

What is the Best Mulch? [ 3 Answers ]

I need to replace all the mulch in my landscaping and I'd like to know the best product to use. I'd like it to be as bug free as possible and I'd like it to be brown as opposed to red. Also, how deep should it be? All advice is welcomed!

Can't get mower to mulch [ 2 Answers ]

I have a fairly new lawn mower and I cannot get it to mulch or bag the grass? I sharpened the blade last season? What should I do?

Foundation problems or settling? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me with cracks appearing in the walls of my house. I have lived here for about two years, and when we first moved in there were no cracks in the walls. Now there are a lot. Most walls are plaster, and the house was built in 1927. Any help would be...

Broken water main close to house foundation [ 1 Answers ]

I just waisted 30 min on my last message that did not take so here a short version. After repair of my main water main ( gray quest coupling cracked between the blue pipe from street and the metal fitting going to 1 of 2?? Valves. The house was built in dallas Texas in 1986, the valves had...

View more questions Search