Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    QUACKERS Posts: 13, Reputation: 0

Sep 27, 2008, 04:43 PM

Queen victory ruled most of the world in her day and her name as well as other english place names are all over the world,If we had one language with teachers all over the world teaching english in all schools and colleges, If aliens ever came to earth they would only need to learn the one language and we would all understand when they tell "we have come to blow your planet up" Then we can all be afraid together lol. Chris.
    Gsxr13 Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Jun 28, 2009, 09:34 PM
    I just don't get why the americans only want to know one language when in other countries you see little kids that can speak 3 or 4 languages.
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2009, 06:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsxr13 View Post
    I just dont get why the americans only want to know one language when in other countries you see little kids that can speak 3 or 4 languages.
    Laziness, mostly.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jul 15, 2009, 09:08 PM

I've heard it said that if someone speaks three languages, they're tri-lingual.
    If they speak two languages, they're bi-lingual.
    If they only speak one, they're American.

Ha
    Sadly accurate. But it is rumoured to have originated in central Europe.

Unfortunately, I've learned and then subsequently lost two foreign languages that I once spoke fluently: Russian and Japanese.
    Both learned by being in close contact with those speaking the language.
    First was native Russians, still living in Alaska, where I grew up.
    Secondly, when visiting Japan for an extended period.
    Both lost after less contact no longer required remembering.

Bear in mind, this is America. We don't border the multiple countries like many other's do.
    The less contact with the spoken language doesn't require learning it. Or remembering it, obviously.

Simple. In my humble opinion, it's not that American's don't want to learn another language. We just don't need to.

Why do some think that's wrong?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 16, 2009, 06:08 AM

Simple. In my humble opinion, it's not that American's don't want to learn another language. We just don't need to.

Why do some think that's wrong?
    Its only wrong when you tell me what I need to do.

Otherwise, carry on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

English As a Second Language [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for samples of grading policies for students in our English as a Second Language program. We are in the process of refining our policy. Our new policy must be informative to parents, sharing good information. It has to be realistic for the expectations of students at various...

English as a second language [ 6 Answers ]

Hi! I would like to know if it´s right to say football course or football pitch or if both of them are correct. On the other hand, Do you say volleyball course and basketball course. Is this correct? Thanks.

English language [ 3 Answers ]

How can I learn the english language in three months or lets say four months ? How can I teach children the english language in a simple way? How can someone teach the adults the english language in a simple way and a short time ? How can I evaluate the students performance in learning english...

English as a second language [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, could you rephrase /say in other words/ "When you have sinned grievously, the devil is waiting." I need to translate that in my native language but I can't get the meaning. I'd like to thank Judith for the previous answer. It was of great help for me.

English language [ 1 Answers ]

What are some negative consequences to declaring English the official language of the U.S?

View more questions Search