Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wallace Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2005, 05:44 PM
    Switching Filetypes
    OK, I understand how switching the extensions works, but does anyone know how to switch say, Forgotten Face.mid to Forgotten Face.mp3 without making my PC think that it's not an audio file?

Or even better, a way to get RealPlayer to recognise MIDI as an audio type.

Thanks

~Me.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 29, 2005, 03:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallace
    OK, I understand how switching the extensions works, but does anyone know how to switch say, Forgotten Face.mid to Forgotten Face.mp3 without making my PC think that it's not an audio file?

Or even better, a way to get RealPlayer to recognise MIDI as an audio type.
    "Switching" extensions doesn't usually work. The extension doesn't control the filetype, it only identifies it. Renaming a file from MID to MP3 doesn't change the format of the file. A MP3 reader is not likely to recognize the file as an MP3.

What you need to do is CONVERT the file. There are many file conversion utilities out there. Whether theree is any to convert MID to MP3 I don't know. Try searching for 'Audio conversion' or 'MID to MP3' and see what you come up with.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2005, 06:24 AM
    File types
    Hi,
    Don't rename your file extensions... it won't work.
    For example: Rolling River.midi cannot be simply re-named to Rolling River.wav.

It will take some practice and finding out about your windows recorder to learn how to do this.
    Go to Start/Programs/Accessories/Entertainment/, then open Sound Recorder.
    You will not be using this to record sound, but will use it to convert from say, a midi, or PCM,etc, to a wav file, or a "MPEG, 3-layer" file.
    Open the sound recorder, then click on File, Open. Select the file you want to convert. Then, click on File at the top, then Properties.
    You will see a button "Convert", and can then choose what file extension to want to convert to, and what conversion factors you want to use, such as the size, mono, stereo, etc.
    This will take some practice. You are now into a whole new area of music!
    Best of luck,
    fredg

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Switching from LLC to S-Corp [ 1 Answers ]

We've been an LLC for just a couple of months and have decided to become an S-Corp. We're in NY. We've got start-up costs invested and don't want to take a loss on our personal return when we dissolve the LLC - we'd rather get this money back. Can we transfer the assets and liabilities to the new...

BCP: Switching from OrthoTricyclene Lo to Seasonale [ 3 Answers ]

Hi: I started taking Orthotricyclene Lo just last month and have finished my pack just last week. My period came and gone the last week I was on the placebo pills on Ortho. Finished the Ortho pills on a Saturday, and started a new pack of SEASONALE the day after (Sunday start). I'm 5 days...

Switching fuses to breaker [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I just bought my first home with my wife. The house has an old fusebox, which both my wife and I hate the thought of having to deal with. We want to switch over to a breaker box, but I have never done this before, so I have some info and some questions... First of all, is this something...

Blown bulbs when switching on [ 3 Answers ]

Hi: Having an odd problem w/ light bulbs blowing across 3 circuits with no dimming or brightening. When switch is flipped on, bulbs immediately fail, one actually made a small "pop" sound--6 in all in one week. Also had reverb on computer speakers. Basic Info: 80 year old house; all new...

Switching to Adult Dog Food [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Labman, You've talked previously about switching from puppy to adult dog food early on to prevent HD in dogs. My rough collie is now about 4 months old. Should I swtich to adult dog food now or wait for another couple of months? Thanks in advance. Mark

View more questions Search