Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hidinginplace Posts: 5, Reputation: 3

Jun 6, 2007, 07:03 PM
    4lb Lab/pit puppy with Parvo. Very Sad.
    So I have the same story as most of the other Parvo posts on here. Except mine is only four pounds. I love the little guy but I don't know if he's going to make it. I plan to visit him at the vets every day. This all really sucks because Im in the army and just got back recently so moneys kind of tight but I'll do what it takes to get my dog better. So if anyone has any new info or info on how the pup will be later in life considering he makes it. I just want a dog that can ride in the truck with me and I can wrestle with. Well any responses will be great.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2007, 08:37 PM
    The good news is, that if the pup makes it, it should be fine. I hate and despise parvo. Even the words banned here do not describe how I feel about it. I can't say how many tines I have seen a puppy that just won somebody's heart die of it. If you got it to the vet in time, it should survive, even if your wallet doesn't. At 4 pounds, your puppy must be quite young. Please keep us posted.
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2007, 09:19 PM
    I had a lab/husky cross that I rescued with parvo many years ago. She had been vaccinated twice, but they said she contracted an oddly virulent strain. (Personally, I think it was mishandled vaccinations in transport.) She was smaller than your pup and was very, very ill. It cost me a LOT of money, but we had nine and a half more years with her and she will never be forgotten - the smartest, most loving dog who has ever owned me.

She began to have strange liver function tests when she was 7, but never enough to explore further. She was fine until she died of kidney failure and it was not related to her earlier about of parvo. She was a wonderful dog, and other that the wacky liver tests, and the kidney disease in her later years, the only time she ever saw her doctor was for her vaccinations and check up every year.

The hard part is saving the pup. Hopefully you managed to get him to the vet quickly and he will be fine. I know how you feel. It's so hard when these little guys just worm their ways into our hearts then get so sick. Do visit him and talk to him. I believe it means a lot to both of you. Good luck, and yes, as labman asked, please keep us posted.

Hope this helps,
    Didi
    whiteladybug2002 Posts: 235, Reputation: 36

Jun 6, 2007, 09:28 PM
    I had a boston terrier pup that was diagnosed with parvo 5 years ago. He weighed less than your puppy, but he pulled through! He spent almost 2 weeks in the dog hospital and had to have 2 blood transfusions. It cost me A lot of money ($1000), but he is now a happy, healthy 5 year old! Actually, he got too hyper for me and he now lives with my active Granddad.

I hope that you will have the same results with your pup!

Good Luck and God Loves You!

Jun 7, 2007, 07:27 AM
    I just called the vet's, I was told my pup is very active and shredding up newspaper and even his white blood cell count was up a bit. This is very good I think considering I dropped him off only yesterday. I'll update later, I'm off to the vet to see him
    MrPippin Posts: 87, Reputation: 17
    -

Jun 7, 2007, 08:34 AM
    It has been awhile since I had a dog with parvo. I had adopted a puppy from the humane society and within a few days he became very ill (vomiting and diarrhea). I got the puppy to the vet and they put an IV in his leg and kept him hydrated. I was told that at that time the treatment was to let the disease run its course (as it is a virus, like a killer dog flu) and keep the dog hydrated. My dog recovered in about a week and a half and developed into a king sized Great Dane mix and was very strong.

I am interested DocWill to know if they use anti-virus medications against parvo now.
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2007, 09:25 AM
    The news today is very encouraging. Keeping fingers and toes crossed!

Didi
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2007, 07:14 PM
    There's a new drug out for use with parvo. It doesn't treat the disease, per se, but is used to help minimize the vomiting, which helps prevent the dehydration that tends to be what actually kills in parvo.

Here's an article on it: FDA Approves First Medication To Treat And Prevent Vomiting In Dogs

And for those of you who are die-hard science geeks, here's the NADA summary:
    www.fda.gov/cvm/FOI/141-263o012907.pdf

Jun 22, 2007, 10:02 AM
    My dog pulled through. We brought him home 6 days after checking him to the vet, for about 4 or 5 days after bringing him home he refused to eat or drink, but we used the syringe to pump him full of food and water, and the vet gave him a shot of steroids and the next day he was bck to being a little sh*thead that bites my fingers. Good to have him back.
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2007, 11:00 AM
    Great. I hate to send every sick puppy off on an emergency visit, but prompt treatment is the only hope with parvo. Thank you for the good news. Now the crisis is over, check the sticky starting at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802
    ItsMeEmma Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2007, 11:08 AM
    If its costing a lot.
    Try getting him insured.
    PetPlan or a practice plan if your vets does one.

Just hope for the best :]
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2007, 05:13 PM
    Wonderful news! Thank you for letting us know. I'm sure that obtaining immediate medical attention to his illness had a lot to do with his recovery. Well, that and lots of love! :) You will soon have him travelling along with you in your truck, I suppose.

Best of luck to you and the pup.

Didi
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2007, 07:00 PM
    As far as his long term outlook, puppies have survived parvo and gone on to a strenuous life as a dog guide. The school I volunteer for in the past would not train a dog that had heartworm. They may now with the milder treatments. Sounds like he is good to go.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

When can I get another puppy after my puppy died of parvo? [ 19 Answers ]

My husband and I recently bought a puppy. 5 days later she was very sick and after taking her to the vet hospital we found out she had parvo. We did everything possible to help her get better but after 5 days of 24 hour treatment we had to put her to sleep. We've now learned that she contacted the...

Sick puppy.lab/pit/brittany spanial mix [ 12 Answers ]

Took puppy (3 mo) to vet about 1 week ago for something that bit him.. got all better then all of a sudden he just lies around hasn't eatten for about 2 days barely drinks water... has dry heaves and seems to be losing weight... have offered wet food.. because what dog won't turn that down... didnt...

Parvo Puppy [ 6 Answers ]

My wife and I recently bought a Shihtza-poo puppy from a rescue on 21 Apr 06. The rescue stated ,"Animals that go thru this rescue are spay/neutered, brought up to date on their vaccinations, checked for heartworms and parasites, and leave to go to their new homes after our vet tells us they are in...

Parvo Puppy [ 9 Answers ]

My Mom purchased a Yorkie-Poo puppy on Friday April 7th, from a local Breeder. She took him to the vet Monday the 10th and he was given a Clean bill of health, although the Vet was not pleased with the Paperwork provided by the breeder (regarding shots given). On Wed. April 12th, my Mom...

Lab mix has parvo [ 13 Answers ]

I just adopted a lab mix puppy (about 10-12wks. Old) from our local animal control on Fri. 1/28/06. As soon as we got him we took him down to the vet and he received his vaccinations and deworming. On Friday night he had diaharrea which we thought was due to the deworming. By Sunday he just wanted...

View more questions Search