Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hbenoit Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2005, 02:50 PM
    Ac Making Loud Noise
    My AC makes a loud noise when cycling. Also it never gets any cooler than 75. Could this be my compressor? How hard is this to fix yourself?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 28, 2005, 06:50 PM
    If the noise is a screech coming from the furnace, it is a dry bearing in the blower. You might be able to oil it or replace it.

If it is a loud engine type noise outside at the compressor, there is little you can do. Chances are, you will need to replace the compressor. To do that, you must pump out any Freon left, cut the lines and silver solder the new lines. Then you must add the proper amount of Freon. You must have a license to buy Freon. As you can guess, I am saying you can't do it.

I do as much of my own work as I can. When I replaced my airconditioner a few years ago, I set the compomnents, and ran the tubing, but paid a professional to do the soldering, filling, and adjustments.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace (heat pump) making *really* loud noise. [ 2 Answers ]

Seeing as I don't know next to anything about heating/ac, I decided I'd post here to see if anyone had any idea. The setup is some old heat pump/furnace/water heater/etc, which all of a sudden at around 3:00am this morning decided to make a VERY loud noise. I had to shut it off (the furnace is a...

GE Clothes Dryer is making loud squeking noises [ 1 Answers ]

The dryer makes a loud squeking noises while running. What can I do to fix it? Maybe replace the belts? I don't know. Thanks for the help. Marc

Loud Noise From Toilet In Master Bath [ 4 Answers ]

Help, we have lived in this home for about 4 years. It was new construction. Recently we have started having a loud noise when you flush the toilet in just one bathroom. The noise actually fades away after the toilet has completed the flushing action. It does not sound like a pipe it is almost...

Loud noise after tiolet is flushed [ 2 Answers ]

After the toilet is flushed there seems to be extra noise going on in wall where the pipes are. It only happens in the one bathroom. The noise sounds like the water to refill the toilet is louder than normal. I'm not sure how else to explain it. This just started recently - Our house is only 4 yrs...

Loud knocking noise on central air [ 3 Answers ]

I came home today to find that the inside part of the furnace/central air is making a loud knocking noise. It seems to be working fine, but is very loud. Any ideas? Thanks

View more questions Search