Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sunshine2 Posts: 70, Reputation: 11

Jun 6, 2007, 05:08 PM
    Mammogram anyone?
    If anyone out there has had a maamogram before, could you please share what to expect. I was told a couple of years ago that you do not have to have one until you are 35 usually, I am 28. But I found out today that I need one.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 6, 2007, 05:18 PM
    I have had a mammogram and it detected the lump that I found. It saved my life.

May I ask why you have to have one at 28?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2007, 06:00 PM
    I have had several mammograms. There is minimal discomfort. Your breast is squeezed down between two plates. But it does not take long and it is well worth the time to do this. If the test results come back positive and you get early treatment, it is so worth it. Always better to know than to wonder.

Good luck in the mammogram.
    Expert

Jun 6, 2007, 06:05 PM
    It is very much so worth it. I am alive 10 years later because of it.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2007, 06:22 PM
    Very simple procedure. No pain involved just maybe a little uncomfortable. Just be aware because of your age and brest density they may ask you to comeback for a breast sonogram. But that is even easier.

Jun 6, 2007, 07:02 PM
    Does anyone know how much they cost? I do not have medical insurance.
    Expert

Jun 6, 2007, 07:07 PM
    I am sorry, I don't. There are charities out there that may help pay though.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2007, 07:13 PM
    Check your women's health clinic or county health department. Here there is a facility called, "Women's Way" where women can go and get services. You pay based on your income, often it is free. The last time I had a mammogram, it was $80.00. That was 6 years ago. Health costs vary across the U.S. so I have no idea what it is where you live.
    urangel4life2006 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2007, 08:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine2
    If anyone out there has had a maamogram before, could you please share what to expect. I was told a couple of years ago that you do not have to have one until you are 35 usually, I am 28. But I found out today that I need one.
    I have had one yearly since age 21, I had my 1st one at age 18. It's really nothing major that you need to expect. You will feel odd and awkward about having your breast pressed between 2 plates of plastic and x-rayed. It might cause breast tenderness for a couple of days after also but nothing really serious.
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Jun 7, 2007, 08:42 AM
    Thanks everyone, the reason I have to have one is they found a lump, but it is probably nothing. I live in NC. We have a women's health department here, I think I will call them. Will keep you updated.
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2007, 08:47 AM
    What the heck just happened?
    Expert

Jun 7, 2007, 08:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3046
    Thanks everyone, the reason I have to have one is they found a lump, but it is probably nothing. I live in NC. We have a womens health department here, I think I will call them. Will keep you updated.
    NOT FUNNY MATT!! BAD FORM!!
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2007, 09:57 AM
    I had my first at 31. I found what I thought was a lump and went to have it checked out. For me, it was more worrysome because of why I was there. They techs are quick to do what they do. They will do 2 pictures of each breast. One coming from the top and one coming from the side. It does pinch, but nothing to serious. I have also had ultrasounds done - which I prefer because there is no pain involved.

The only thing I would suggest is make sure you have a knowledgeable doctor that you are 100% comfortable with. Preferably someone who specializes in breast.

Don't worry - at your age the tissue is so dense - you can be fooled into thinking you have a lump. That is what happened to me.

Jun 7, 2007, 05:38 PM
    Just to clear up any confusion, I made the last post, not Matt3046.

Jun 7, 2007, 05:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    NOT FUNNY MATT!!! BAD FORM!!!!
    I was signed in under his name by accident. I really did as k the question, he had nothing to do with it. Sorry for the confusion, I am still learning this website. Thank you for the advice!
    sueo0219 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2007, 05:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine2
    Well usually you don't need a mammogram till 40 but if your GYN finds or feels you need to have one then they will recommend it before age 40. Its really not painful, just a bit uncomfortable. And if you're short, they you have to tippy toe a bit lol. Not a big deal, trust me

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mammogram Answers [ 1 Answers ]

I Would Like To Know On A Mammogram Result For A Woman Over 50 Years Old, When It Indicates Low Risk What Does This Mean Or What Could This Involve?

View more questions Search