Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gfish2006 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2007, 05:06 PM
    Fantail goldfish has swollen bump behind her gill
    She has the bump for 2 weeks now. Initially she is still very active and eats well. And now, she still eats well but sits at the bottom of the tank most of the time. We tried Epsom salt for 1 day then switched to aquarium salt after talking to the aquarium staff. We started the Internal Parasite Guard yesterday and it doesn't seem to help. Any one can help please! Thanks.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2007, 06:04 PM
    There was a similar issue on this about a week ago.
    You should probably switch to another medication for bacterial infections
    Along with the use of melafix. Sounds bacterial...
    gfish2006 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2007, 08:23 PM
    Can we just stop the Internal Parasite Guard and start the antibiotic? Should we do partial water changes and if so, by how much? Thanks.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2007, 09:14 PM
    You didn't mention the size of your tank, but
    If you do a 10% water change then replace the activated carbon and let it filter all the old medication out of the water (like overnight), it will be safe to continue with the new treatment the next day.
    ES0Angel69 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2009, 02:54 PM
    I had this issue in October with my common goldfish; he was getting a swollen lump, equal on both sides of his body just behind his gills. He started being real lazy, hanging out at the bottom unless he was being stimulated or fed. I tried everything I knew before realizing that this is a case of infection. I used maracyn two for 5 days and the swelling disappeared; he is perfectly fine now.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2009, 11:47 PM

Can everyone please check the dates on threads before responding, this one was started in 2007.
    I have seen so many old threads dug up lately and it pushes newer questions down the list.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Red bump-white bump in labia minora [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, I've surfed through this site trying to find a solution, but haven't come across one, so I hope you can help me. Every few months I get a small pin-prick sized red raised dot on the outside of my right labia minora. It's mostly benign in feeling, but occasionally feels irritated. In...

Red bump on side of goldfish [ 15 Answers ]

I just noticed today that 1/5 of my golfish has a big bump on the side of it with red tones underneath it (the size of a big pimple!). I have 5 golfish in a 33 galon tank and the remaining fish look fine. The fish with the bump is active and eating as normal - no signs of distress. What could this...

Swollen bump on penis [ 2 Answers ]

:confused:One morning my wife and I were having sex but I had to stop it because the tip of my penis started hurting. Later in the day it kept hurting to so when I looked at it there was a small lump where the shaft and the head meets and a small hard vein was underneath well, at least that's what...

Goldfish [ 1 Answers ]

I have a goldfish in my water garden and it's forever upside down. It swims for a little while the correct way then it's either facing down with it's tail up or upside down. Should I be worried about this.

View more questions Search