Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ron12 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2007, 03:08 PM
    Union says I will lose my job
    I work for a gerocy store it have 3 different labor unions one of them not the one I am a member is voting to strike my union has informed us that if we cross the picket line we will lose our job when the strike is over can they do that?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2007, 03:16 PM
    Theoritically speaking, you have the right to cross a picket line if you don't support the industrial action being taken. If you're a union member and you're disciplined by your union for crossing a picket line, you can complain to an Employment Tribunal.

So, who in your union threatened you with termination, if you crossed the picket line? When did this happen? How did it happen? Did you record this down? Date, time, who said this to you, exactly what was said, and your response? Has this happened to anyone else? What was said to them and did they document this?
    Ron12 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2007, 05:34 PM
    It was the union President he came to the store and was telling everyone working. Do not cross this other unions picket line or when strike is over you will not have a job. I have heard of being fined for crossing your picket line but never losing your job or getting fined for crossing another unions picket line.
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2007, 05:40 PM
    Well, I worked for the Canadian Post Office and if the postal workers (union one) were on strike the letter carriers still worked (union 2) and the payroll clerks (union three) still went in to pay them! I strongly believe that you can cross the picket line without fearing the loss of your job. Ask management! They are the ones who hire and fire!

Hope this helps.

Didi

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401 K and lose of job [ 10 Answers ]

My husband thinks he may lose his job, we have two 401Ks with this company, one is from a previous company that was purchased by the company he now works for. He is unable to do anything with that 401K, except when he leaves the company, it has roughly $17000 in it, and the other has roughly...

Tax re: Full-time job in NJ and Part-time job in Brooklyn,NY [ 1 Answers ]

Am a Jersey resident working full-time(40 hours, AGI~$60,000) in Jersey claiming 5. May be accepting position in Brooklyn, NY for additional part-time (16 hours,AGI~$19,000-23,000) Have read responses about resident in Jersey working in NY with one job. Since my part-time position is in NY, I...

Union dues [ 3 Answers ]

The employees at the not for profit agency I work at joined the local teamsters union a few years ago. This week we were informed that there will be a change in our uniion dues starting on the pay reveived tomorrow. The change is as follows: all persons making less than $11 an hour will have their...

Union and non-Union works [ 2 Answers ]

What are the advantages and disadvantages of Union and non-union works in a Tool and Die industry? :confused:

View more questions Search