Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dutchgrl4369 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2007, 01:51 PM
    Getting custody of my niece and nephew
    My niece and nephew are currently living with my brother. Their mother left them with him over 4 years ago with not so much as a phone call since. My brother has since gone to court and had her rights terminated. She did nothing to contest this. My brother's physical and mental health is failing and he is lashing out at his children. They are not being physically abused, but are being neglected and emotionally abused. Their house is in a horrible condition according to my Mother. I live in a different state due to my husband's active duty military status. I asked my Brother if the kids could come live with me for a while until he can get back on his feet. He firmly told me "no". My Mom is the primary babysitter when my brother cannot care for his kids due to work or health issues. She is almost 70 years old and my Dad is almost 75. The kids are 7 and 8 and are too much for my parents to handle for long periods such as during summer break. Given these circumstances, what do you think the chances are of my husband and I getting custody of these 2 kids? I highly suspect my brother is at least Manic-Depressive if not suffering from other mental disorders. His 27 year old son suffers from Schizophenia. My Mom feels it is dire that these kids are removed from my brother's care before it's too late. I'd appreciate any help or advice you can give me on this matter.
    Playaboy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2007, 03:53 AM
    Well it is possible for you to get custody, since seeing your brother is not in good health, it would be too your advantage if this gets draged into court, The children are at a age where they can say where they want to stay, so if your brother is not treating them well, Im sure they will choose you, what you need to do is speak to a social worker and a lawyer, the lawyer can arrange for the kids to be removed and sent to you, that's only if the social worker feels that your brother is not fit too take care of them on his own, You brother will still have the rights over the children, he just won't have custody of them. I hope this may help you!:cool:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need to know how to get custody of my nephew from an unfit aunt? [ 3 Answers ]

My brother had a son by a lady, that died 4years ago, her sister has guardenship, because the mother had the baby in prison( brother didn't know about the baby then). The mother got out jail got herself together, and the kid moved back in with the mother. Mother never got guardenship back from...

Custody of ny niece and nephew [ 1 Answers ]

My younger sister asked me to help her out for a week or two by taking her son(2yrs) and her daughter(7mo.), its has been a little over a month but it seems as if my sister does not want to take responsibility of her children, which is not a problem for me because I would love to have them with me,...

Wanting to know what steps I need to take to adopt my niece and nephew [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm from Canada and I was just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. I have custody of my niece and nephew. I have had them now for 5 yrs in Aug. They are 4 and 6 and I want to adopt them can anyone tell me what steps I should take in order to adopt them?

Custody of my nephew [ 2 Answers ]

I am wanting to have guardianship of my nephew who is being negleted. How do I go about it legally? What are some of my obstacles? Please give me some help.

View more questions Search