Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    girl_6s Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2007, 11:14 AM
    Wireless internet
    I have a laptop and want to hook it up to wireless internet but I have never done that before and unsure as to how to do it. What do I need and what type of provider do I look for. I want it so that when I travel I can use it for my schooling
    Thank you,
    Sherry
    jeremy4719 Posts: 136, Reputation: 4

Jun 25, 2007, 06:45 PM
    Just look for a Sprint Wireless plan.. Tell them what you want it for... Make sure you ask all the questions you can think of. Sprint is usually the best for road travel wireless if you are in bigger cities.
    mathboy15 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2008, 09:06 AM
    The laptop might already have a inbuilt wireless connection but if it hasn't then you need to buy a wireless stick.
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Jul 10, 2008, 11:18 PM
    There are two types of wireless access - wireless being cellular phone service and wireless being a standard network connection without wires. Cellular connections generally run about $80 a month for unlimited access. It is limited to your cellular signal and is hindered in mountainous, heavily wooded and low population areas. Wireless networking is limited to an ISP connection and the distance is not in miles like cellular but about 300 feet.

Depending on how much travel you do, you need to get a list of all of the free and low cost hot spots in the places you go to. Check out the book stores, coffee shops, hamburger joints and such (I am not going to mention names but they have the initials Barns and Noble, Starbucks and McDonalds).

If you are going to travel and have to use hotel, airline or other paid hotspots that can carry a high price - as much as $30 a day - then check into a service called iPass. It is a prepaid service that gives you lower cost, unified billing access to over 170,000 dialup and broadband access points all over the world.
    seya142 Posts: 10, Reputation: 0

Jul 24, 2008, 11:20 AM
    All you have to do is go to walmart and buy a wireless card
    dezign4u Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2008, 05:56 PM
    Hey all,

We have a dell laptop computer that is telling us our wireless connection is Excellent. But each time we go to a website... it tells us the page is unavailable. What are we not doing?
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Aug 13, 2008, 07:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dezign4u
    hey all,

we have a dell laptop computer that is telling us our wireless connection is Excellent. but each time we go to a website....it tells us the page is unavailable. what are we not doing?
    Repost this to a new question... you deserve your own post and it is bad form to hijack someone else's thread.;)
    sphynx36 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2008, 08:51 PM
    Hi
    I am at my son's homein Henderson, NV and can receive messages, but not send them. I was in a hotel on the strip about 10 miles away and used a wireless system there - not the hotel's, but here I am at a loss. This is not the first time this has happened when I have been on the road over the past few years
    Ry
    sphynx36 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2008, 09:56 PM
    :mad: :mad: :mad: Getting into your system is for thebirds
    :confused: :confused: :confused:
    bobp1 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2008, 04:55 PM
    If you have a Dell laptop you are probably using the Microsoft web access software or suplicant. Microsoft calls this software webzero. What you need to do is:

Look for the littil icon on you tool bar that looks like a small PC with a couple of right parentheis next to it. Click this icon an a window will appear. It will show signal strength The green bars and status. The status needs to be Connected. If the status is not connected click the button that says view availanle wireless networks.

This will bring up a list of all nearby networks. Unless you have assigned credentials you will only be able to connect to unsecured networks. To connect to a network clidk on the bar for the network you wish to connect to. You should know what the network is that you plan to attach to. Networks are available a many restaurants, or libraries. Some communities also offer a free service. Many of the free networks that are out there will ask you to agree to a set of rules before they grant you access to the Internet. After you have selected the network you wish to connect to click the connect button.

Open your browser, Follow any instructions that the service provider has and you should have internet access

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My laptop doesn't connect to wireless internet [ 9 Answers ]

I have a dell inspiron laptop which has wireless capability. The OS is Windows XP Professional with SP 2. It used to connect to internet with the built in Wireless connector some time back . I have a desk top which I use to connect to Timewarner cable connection. It has a wireless router . So, my...

Connected to wireless network, but can't get on the internet [ 4 Answers ]

I am from the US and I'm currently studying in Spain and on the roof of my house here, I have a very strong connection to a wireless network that is titled, "wireless". It is not locked and doesn't not require any kind of password and I connect right away without it saying that I have limited or...

Wireless internet works fine, but. [ 3 Answers ]

For some reason, any computers that are connected via a cord cannot access the internet. Anybody have any ideas as to what's going on? I've checked all the cords and they're fine... internet worked perfectly last night, too.

Wireless/cable internet connection [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have 2 issues. Now I am new to this, so please don't judge me. 1) I was recently by my friend with my laptop (has wireless connectivity). I was able to connect to the wireless modem - got an ip address, subnet mask, and default gateway - but, still couldn't connect to the internet. I...

Wireless internet sharing [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I want to set up a wireless LAN that connects two computers. I have a D-Link AirPLus G wireless router that connects to my ADSL modem. A D-Link wireless card on the laptop and a TP-Link wireless card on the desktop. I logged on to internet using my laptop first, and it worked, but then when I...

View more questions Search