Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2007, 10:42 AM
    ivillage advice
    I think this site is typical of the low quality advice found in all too many websites,
    Pets Symptom Solver Tool -- Digestive System I don't intend to debate the organic and holistic medicine flavor of it. Those that prefer lovely theories to the brutal gangs of facts that science is based on, will never change their mind. Those wanting to see a great example of good science should go to LongLiveYourDog.com - Life Span Study - Methodology Yes, it was sponsored by a nasty, large corporation. However, not even Nestle has the money to buy having their study published in the JAVMA. If it wasn't based on a careful study, it wouldn't have been accepted. You will never find such a rigorous study supporting organic or holistic theories.

I hate to see such links posted. I either have to let poor advice go unchallenged or waste my time checking the site out. Almost always they contain poor information. Maybe I will let somebody else address the issue of blood in the stool.

I usually check out the housebreaking section since this is an area I have been mentored in by very experienced people giving me a fine base for my experience with 15 puppies of my own plus numerous unhousebroken guests. Internet sites nearly always leave out important elements, in this case, the praise following elimination outside. Not only does it facilitate housebreaking, it builds the sequence of command, behavior, reward so vital to obedience training. With so much poor advice out there, it is no surprise I have seen so many questions over the years from people having trouble. I couldn't understand why, until I did a search one day and saw what a disaster much of the advice is.

I checked the section on loss of appetite, another common problem with frequent poor advice. Took a long time for each ad filled page to load, but nowhere did I see anything about the common cause of over feeding and over weight. I didn't follow the link to a dog gaining weight, but many fat, picky dogs got there so slowly and have been for so long, I doubt many owners would either.

So, I say skip it. There is much better material right here on AMHD starting at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802 Other good sites are American Veterinary Medical Association American Kennel Club - akc.org Dog Breed Information Center®, DBI and Woodhaven Labradors Articles
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2007, 04:39 PM
    Labman thank you for that informative study from Purina. Advertised by Purina. (1.) lean fed group/ had less medical problems and lived longer because they were feed less and looked like example #2 dog. ( 2.)controlled dogs/that were feed more food, had medical problems earlier than lean feed dogs and died earlier than lean feed dogs. The dogs in controlled study looked like dog example # 3. Also the lean fed groups muzzle took longer to turn gray. I am glad that my little dogs look like dog # 2 Once again Labman thank you, judging from my dog's body and muzzle's I am doing a fine job. I hope everybody prints off this chart as to what their dogs bodies should look like. I don't know which is worse seeing a dog too skinny or too fat. P.s. who paid these researchers salaries, AVMA or Purnia? I missed that part, just wondering. I wonder if and when a holistic or organic dog food company gets as big as Purnia what kind of study the consumers will see then. By the way who makes pro plan I have been thinking about giving it a try based on your rave reviews. Once again thanks :) peace
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2007, 08:27 PM
    If you choose to ignore a rigorous scientific study, and shorten your dogs' lives by over feeding them, there is not much I can do. I hope society never gets to where the animal welfare police will descend on those over feeding their pets.

BTW, if I have given the impression Pro Plan is superior to Iams, Eukanuba, Science, and lesser known brands, I am sorry. I see more dogs eating it than any other brand, and they are doing very well. I talk Pro Plan because I see it working. Aside from the larger, softer stools for the owner to deal with, I am not sure dogs would do any less well on gasp, arrugh, Old Roy. Maybe they would even have fewer anal gland problems.

My vet has lambasted Purina for selling 24 different brands of dog chow. I have not followed up by seeing if there is really 23 other ones besides Pro Plan.

If a holistic or organic dog food company produces a rigorous study, and submits it to the JAVMA, it should be published. Studies are judged by the methodology, not the results.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Need advice... please [ 37 Answers ]

Me and my ex of 3 years broke up over a month ago. He said we were fighting too much and that if I would give it time everything would fall into place.well we still see each other and hang out and spend the night together,yet he hasn't mentioned anything about the relationship. Its like he's over...

Need some advice [ 13 Answers ]

My 18 year old son is experiencing a tingling sensation in his heart area. He feels no pain but is concerned with the frequency and intensity of these tingling sensations. He recently competed in athletic activities and felt fatigued after playing just a short time. I took him to the doctor and...

Need some advice [ 5 Answers ]

Hello. This is going to be long, so bear with me. I could really use some advice. I have over $50K in debt from 2 credit cards and a student loan that have been charged off. Needless to say my credit is shot right now and I'm trying to get back on my feet. Unfortunately, I'm not making anywhere...

Advice on Giving Advice [ 16 Answers ]

Hey all! I have a slight dilemna and I'd like it if you guys and gals can help me out. I have two friends who are in a relationship together, but things have become kind of rocky between them. The problem is that they are both my friends so they both confide in me and ask for advice. At present...

Advice [ 4 Answers ]

I'm currently enrolled at the University of Iowa as an accoutning student. In grad school I will be getting a joint law degree with a masters in accounting because I want to be a tax attorney. Any advice on what else I should do outside of my basic course of action?

View more questions Search