Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bekah876 Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Jun 4, 2007, 09:00 PM
    Rectal prolapses
    I have done some internet research on rectal prolapses but haven't found what I need. Does anyone know much about this condition? What exactly are the symptoms? I don't know if I have something protruding from the rectum... it seems more like the skin is just loose and not puckered in at the top of the rectum (near the vagina). I know this is more than you need to hear, but I don't know how else to describe it. It causes me no pain or itching. I occasionally get blood in my stool. I am not sure what this is or if it is normal. Sorry for all the details, just trying to find out what is going on.
    Xrayman Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 193
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2007, 10:21 PM
    Hi becka,

You may be describing a simple loose anal sphincter. Or even an anal fistula/tear. Have you had rough anal sex?

A rectal prolapse is where part of the rectum protrudes outside of the anus, you may have this. You may need it repaired-surgically.

Jun 5, 2007, 06:03 AM
    No anal sex for me, that is not my cup of tea. It could be some loose anal sphincter. That sounds more like it than the rectal prolapse. Is loose anal sphincter a big deal? Is it something I need to have fixed? It has been this way for a very long time and not given me any problems. I just feel like it isn't normal and maybe should be checked out.
    Xrayman Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 193
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2007, 04:15 PM
    To me you sound fine-are you continent with feaces? If so, no worries. If you soil yourself, then you need some surgery.

Best wishes bekah!
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2007, 04:17 PM
    May I suggest you go to a gastro doc or proctologist.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 5, 2007, 04:30 PM
    I too would recommend an exam just to be sure that everything is okay.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2007, 05:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bekah876
    I have done some internet research on rectal prolapses but haven't found what I need. Does anyone know much about this condition? What exactly are the symptoms? I don't know if I have something protruding from the rectum...it seems more like the skin is just loose and not puckered in at the top of the rectum (near the vagina). I know this is more than you need to hear, but I don't know how else to describe it. It causes me no pain or itching. I occassionally get blood in my stool. I am not sure what this is or if it is normal. Sorry for all the details, just trying to find out what is going on.
    Bekah876, may I ask you a question, that sounds silly because I am going to ask it anyway, maybe I should have said will you answer a question for me.
    The question is, after a bowel movement and you have cleaned yourself well, later do you get stains on your panties like that you didn't wipe good.
    On other question,have you suffered from constipation in the recent past.

Jun 6, 2007, 03:50 PM
    The answer to both questions is no. I don't get stains like I didn't wipe well... no leakage. And I haven't suffered from constipation in the recent past. Because of my endometriosis constipation is something I face from time to time though.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2007, 04:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bekah876
    The answer to both questions is no. I don't get stains like I didn't wipe well....no leakage. And I haven't suffered from constipation in the recent past. Because of my endometriosis constipation is something I face from time to time though.
    The reason that I ask that question is that my daughter is having a problem similar to your's and the Dr told her is was mostly from constipation, and internal hemorrhoids.

Jun 6, 2007, 06:20 PM
    I have an appointment with my GYN next week. I am going to ask her about it, even though it isn't her field she might be able to direct me to what it is and where I might need to go. letmetellu I will let you know if the doctor says anything new so you can tell your daughter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rectal discomfort [ 3 Answers ]

I'm having difficulty categorizing my problem... After a bowel movement ( "normal" and "regular") and cleansing well I have to clean myself again in about an hour or less. I realize the need to do this because I have burning and itching. I have read about fissures and rectoceles but this doesn't...

View more questions Search