Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xcor635 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2005, 05:21 PM
    Remodeling Bathroom, Need to move drains/vents
    I am in the process of remodeling my bathroom. I am moving all fixtures, toilet, sinks, shower, and jaccuzi. It is on a concrete slab, which I have mostly tore up. I am looking for some help with vents and drains for my new project. I attached a PDF with my proposed fixture layout. I understand that the drain should drop 1/4" per foot. Because of the height of my main drain (It is buried in a footing, so I cannot shorten it), the top of my 3" ABS pipe to my toilet will be running in the concrete slab about 1/2 way, not under it. Is this going to cause a problem, or should I use less slope?

Any help is appreciated...
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf Bathroom Drains & Vents.pdf (12.5 KB, 583 views)
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 24, 2005, 06:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by xcor635
    I am in the process of remodeling my bathroom. I am moving all fixtures, toliet, sinks, shower, and jaccuzi. It is on a concrete slab, which I have mostly tore up. I am looking for some help with vents and drains for my new project. I attached a PDF with my proposed fixture layout. I understand that the drain should drop 1/4" per foot. Because of the height of my main drain (It is buried in a footing, so I cannot shorten it), the top of my 3" ABS pipe to my toilet will be running in the concrete slab about 1/2 way, not under it. Is this going to cause a problem, or should I use less slope?

Any help is appreciated...

If height is a problem you may reduce the fall to 1/8" per foot. That's just cracking the bubble on your level. The PDF you sent just gives me the fixture placement. What i need is for you to lay out the drainage and then I can correct it to conform to the Universal Plumbing Code. (Hint:) You'll run a 2" vent off the lavatory and wet vent the shower and whirlpool through the lavatory drain. Good luck, Tom

May 25, 2005, 08:11 AM
    First Draft
    Have a look at my new diagram. I did more work and found the main 3" ABS drain coming into the bathroom about 12" under the slab. This will make my work easier and allow the full 1/4" per foot slope. I indicated the direction flow by red arrow.

I indicated vents in blue, 3" ABS in red, and 2" ABS in black. I will have a P-Trap at the tub and shower. The tub will go from 2" to 1 1/2" at the P.

Thanks for your help.
    Attached Images
  3. File Type: pdf Bathroom Drains & Vents.pdf (15.9 KB, 655 views)
    Eternal Plumber

May 25, 2005, 12:29 PM
    Vents
    Have a look at my new diagram. I did more work and found the main 3" ABS drain coming into the bathroom about 12" under the slab. This will make my work easier and allow the full 1/4" per foot slope. I indicated the direction flow by red arrow.

I indicated vents in blue, 3" ABS in red, and 2" ABS in black. I will have a P-Trap at the tub and shower. The tub will go from 2" to 1 1/2" at the P.

Thanks for your help.
    Your ducks appear to be all in a row. Thanks for drawing to scale,( 3/8") so I could check the measurements. The lavatory and shower vents fall inside code and the whirlpool will wet vent through the shower vent. Hey! Looks good to me. Tom

May 25, 2005, 11:53 PM
    One more question
    I don't know if you can tell from the diagram, my toilet will wet vent through the basin. Is this acceptable, or do I need a vent dedicated for the toilet?

In addition, when I get ready to burry my pipes under the slab, do I need to make sure the dirt is fully covererd with the 3/4" gravel, or can the dirt and gravel be mixed together? During the 'uncovering' of the pipes, the gravel is currently mixed together with dirt. I want to make sure I can cover things back up with this mixture.

Thanks!
    Eternal Plumber

May 27, 2005, 07:56 AM
    I don't know if you can tell from the diagram, my toilet will wet vent through the basin. Is this acceptable, or do I need a vent dedicated for the toliet?

In addition, when I get ready to burry my pipes under the slab, do I need to make sure the dirt is fully covererd with the 3/4" gravel, or can the dirt and gravel be mixed together? During the 'uncovering' of the pipes, the gravel is currently mixed together with dirt. I want to make sure I can cover things back up with this mixture.

Thanks!!

Your toilet will indeed be wet vented through the lavatory. No further venting should be necessary. Just cover the drainage with the gravel and soil. Then lay visqueen over the opening and pour your patch. Good luck, Tom

May 29, 2005, 08:53 AM
    Copper splices under slab
    Again Thanks for your help. I'm finishing up with laying the drain and ready to begin water supply lines. Is there any restrictions with splicing copper under slab and/or what needs to be ran?
    Eternal Plumber

May 29, 2005, 09:22 AM
    Again Thanks for your help. I'm finishing up with laying the drain and ready to begin water supply lines. Is there any restrictions with splicing copper under slab and/or what needs to be ran?
    Code doesn't allow us to make under slab solder joints. Too many chances for a leak with no way to get at and repair it. We run our lines with soft copper and loop up in the wall with supplies. We then loop back down under the slab to the next fixture. This way there are no underslab joints. I guess if you're not going to be inspected you could solder in a branch but it's not the smartest way to go. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Concerns with circuit overload because of bathroom remodeling [ 1 Answers ]

I’m in the process of remodeling my basement bathroom and have hit a road-block with the wiring. Here are my questions. • Before I started my basement bathroom remodel, the only thing that was wired in the bathroom was a vanity light from a 15A circuit. This circuit is shared with the upstairs...

Bathroom & Dryer Vents [ 1 Answers ]

I built a room next to a bathroom exterior wall where the bathroom and dryer vents terminated (on the exterior side). With the new adjacent room, the vents would have to be extended by 10 feet. My question is, can I connect the bathroom and dryer vents together and then extend one 4" vent pipe to...

New Bathroom, But Tub Drains Slow [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, all. Glad to have found this place as I sure need some answers and help! My wife and I decided the old bathroom needed to be renovated. It was about 20 years old and showed it. The old bathroom was a 3/4 unit, with a toilet and shower stall only, no bathtub. We opted to have the it...

Bathroom sink drains through floor not wall [ 9 Answers ]

Hello First, let me say this a great forum. I just found it and registered. I want to put in a Kohler Cimmaron pedestal sink in my bathroom. The only difficulty is that the existing drain goes through the concrete floor rather than curving into the wall. And, it is about three inches off...

New bathroom sink drains slowly [ 3 Answers ]

I am finishing my basement. Shower is done, toilet is done, just installed vanity, sink, faucet, and drain. But the sink drains really slow when there is a small amount of water in the sink. But if I fill up the sink fairly full, then open the stopper, the water drains very quickly. Two...

View more questions Search