Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Slew Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2007, 10:44 AM
    Dinner Etiquette
    Hello,

My son whom is 16 is dating a very nice young lady, her parents have invited us to dinner
    This evening.

My question is , should I take something to go along w the dinner ?

Thanks

Slew
    Rockabilly1955mama Posts: 662, Reputation: 85

Jun 4, 2007, 10:51 AM
    Yes, that would be nice of you. Be sure to ask the young lady or your son what kind of food her family is intrested in.

For example you don't want to bring meat if they are vegetarain.

Best of luck!
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2007, 12:18 PM
    You could actually bring dessert. If you did not want to bring foor - you could bring flowers, that is always a nice touch.
    saraispiel19 Posts: 670, Reputation: 115
    -

Jun 4, 2007, 12:20 PM
    Dessert is α nice touch, something like α pie or cheese cαke, forget ice creαm (you hαve the whole vαnillα vs. choc.--- don't even think αbout bringing nαpolitαn.. I think thαts so cheαp)
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2007, 12:23 PM
    I am assuming you have asked if you can bring anything and they said no. You want to be careful not to offend by bring something that would go with the main course. So, I still say dessert. Or just a token gift for her parents.
    I agree with the ice cream - too much of a hassle.
    saraispiel19 Posts: 670, Reputation: 115
    -

Jun 4, 2007, 12:30 PM
    Spαrkiling αpple cider is αnother greαt thing
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2007, 07:30 PM
    Technically, if you have been invited to dinner, the assumption is that you do NOT bring food. You may, however, ask if they would like you to bring anything. If they say not to, please don't! Or, if you do, be prepared for them to not serve it. The only reason that I am even allowing you to ask if you can bring something is because this sounds like an informal "get to know you" dinner, and not a formal dinner invitation.

At a formal dinner, the host is supposed to provide all the food, while you are supposed to grace them with your company (and reciprocate at some other time!), and they can get quite peeved with guests who bring food that may not fit their menu.
    KimmieC Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2007, 06:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Slew
    Hello,

My son whom is 16 is dating a very nice young lady, her parents have invited us to dinner
    this evening.

My question is , should i take something to go along w the dinner ?

thanks

Slew
    I agree with Froggy! Just have the pleasure of getting to know each other.
    gypsy456 Posts: 319, Reputation: 48

Jun 6, 2007, 08:26 PM
    Bring flowers.

Bringing a dessert may be a nice idea, however they may have already bought dessert, who knows ?

A beautiful bouquet will make everybody smile.
    I am Dutch.
    Maybe it's a Dutch habit, but we love giving flowers :)
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2007, 10:05 AM
    In my family we usually take a bottle of wine - although if they don't drink it is substituted with flowers. I'm surprised no one mentioned wine, maybe it's a culture thing. I don't think you can go wrong with flowers though - gypsy's right.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2007, 10:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by templelane
    In my family we usually take a bottle of wine - although if they don't drink it is substituted with flowers. I'm surprised noone mentioned wine, maybe it's a culture thing. I don't think you can go wrong with flowers though - gypsy's right.
    I know, this was my first though, I kept reading post after post and no one said wine. But get something decent, imported, it's not actually any more expensive than wines made in the US and it's a nicer touch.

Also agreeing with don't bring ice cream or any type of main course, desert might be OK but they may have planned that too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rehearsal dinner etiquette [ 1 Answers ]

Who all should be invited to the rehearsal dinner? The wedding is in the bride's home town. Most everyone attending the wedding will be out-of-towners. Are all those from out of town to be invited?

Floresent dinner [ 2 Answers ]

I have three futures in my kitchen . They have 2, 30 watt bulbs in them my wife says They are to bright, and wants a dimmer on them . Question. Can I but a dimmer switch on them ,and where can I get one? They are fluorescent bulbs

Dinner invitation? [ 2 Answers ]

I received a dinner invitation on my answering machine from a friend I generally see every few months. It was to be at her home in 21/2 weeks. As I was away when the message was left, I returned her call about 4 days later once I was home. I reached her answering machine, expressed my apologies...

Dinner time? [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best time to eat dinner?

Sunday dinner [ 20 Answers ]

I'm just prerping our Sunday lunch and I started to wonder what everyone else does. Who in your household is in charge of the main Sunday meal and what do you have ? In my house I tend to be in charge of the whole shooting match. Sundays for us normally means some sort of roast, today its...

View more questions Search