Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WJPetersen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2007, 10:18 AM
    GE refrigerator leaking water from the door
    As the title says, my GE frig just starting leaking water at the bottom of the freezer side door. This is the type of refrigerator which is a side by side with freezer on left side along with the ice/water dispenser built into the door. I can not see any water tubes going from the unit to the door, but yet there is a leak. Anyone know how to fix this?

Ps - there is no leak either in the rear or bottom of the unit - the door.
    Psandspur Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2007, 05:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by WJPetersen
    As the title says, my GE frig just starting leaking water at the bottom of the freezer side door. This is the type of refrigerator which is a side by side with freezer on left side along with the ice/water dispenser built into the door. I can not see any water tubes going from the unit to the door, but yet there is a leak. Anyone know how to fix this?

ps - there is no leak either in the rear or bottom of the unit - jus the door.

I am having the same problem! Do you know how to fix this? I think it is the hole in the freezwe is plugged?
    Chameleon Posts: 154, Reputation: 17

Jun 8, 2007, 12:53 PM
    Not sure this will help but here goes.
    My husband and I had the same problem (except ours is a standard freezer on top, fridge on bottom) what our problem turned out to be was tge black vent at the bottom of the entire unit(near the floor) needed cleaned out. After that we really didn't have a problem. If this helps,great if not, I'm sorry and I hope that you find a solution fast.
    srwobbe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2008, 08:57 AM
    Any updates on this from the original posters? I too am having this issue. I do see a black plug at the back of the freezer on my side-by-side. What do I have to do to it? Replace it? How does it come out?
    glorias Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2008, 08:51 AM
    I also have a GE side by side with the same issue, leaking from freezer side only. I called out the service guy and for $95 he pulled out the bottom white tray that is under the wire shelving and at the back of the freezer is a small hole. He poured in a capfull of bleach and then 1 cup of boiling water. He said condensation builds up and clogs the hole. Worked like a charm.
    Manishapatel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2012, 09:45 AM
    The answer by Glorias worked for me for the exactly the same problem, what is, leak under the frizzer door on a GE side by side. I also put bleach and boiling water in the hole and it worked. Thanks a lot Glorias.
    cia63 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2012, 09:01 PM
    I have same problem, when I dispensor water, the leaking is from door jiont hole, obvously the leakage is happen inside the door, but the door liner cannot open without damage, it is glued
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2012, 01:22 AM
    This is easy to fix, and the cause of a class action lawsuit a few years ago. Remove the door and lay it on a table in the sun. Then remove all the screws around the edges and pull off the inside liner. Let it dry in the sun for a day or two to remove all of the moisture. When it's totally dry clean off the edges the best you can with lacquer thinner and apply Clear GE Silicone Caulk to all edges. Don't miss any part that will seal the two parts of the door. Even a pinhole leak will cause a leak. Put the two halves together and put in all of the screws and you will cure the problem. The water leak is due to an air leak.

Jun 4, 2012, 01:32 PM
    Unfortunately, there are no screws around the freezer side door. It seems glued.
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2012, 01:54 PM
    The inside liner should be screwed to the metal outer part of door. Did you look behind the rubber gasket?

Jun 4, 2012, 02:04 PM
    Yes, I pulled out the rubber gasket out, and cannot see any screws anyway.
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2012, 04:54 PM
    Here is the manual I have: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8010163/GE_...ide_refrig.pdf
    It does not show the door, but there has to be a way to remove the inner liner to service it. Try using a 1 inch wide putty knife and see if the edge pries out. Just try it at a corner to see if it moves. That's the first time I have heard about this model. All of the ones before it had screws and were easy to fix.

Jun 5, 2012, 10:03 PM
    It glued tightly, it is hard to pry out. I found some number on the back of refrigerator, "Part number: 203C4025P012", and "GSS25LGPAWDG425989"
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2012, 06:37 AM
    That number may refer to the whole refrigerator. You need to check the Internet because I think there is a class action suit going on with certain refrigerators and yours could be on the list. The model and serial number is usually just inside the door. That's what I need to look it up. You may still need to remove that inside part of the door, but it must be re-sealed with GE Silicone when replaced. You can call GE and ask them what to do; they may replace the door for free since that was the subject of a class action suit recently. Not that one, though.
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2012, 02:23 AM
    What they seem to be saying is that the drain under the freezer coils is stopped up. If that is the case then remove the cover to the coils and clean out drain with boiling water and bleach until water flows through it. It's a common problem as food seems to find a way into that drain. Just make sure it's clean under the unit such as the drain pan and coils, which you can access through the rear cover and front kick plate. I always wash out the coils to get them really clean and pull out drain pan and wash it out in sink. I have even found dead rats in the drain pan. It really gets dirty.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Frigidaire Refrigerator - Water leaking on top shelf [ 1 Answers ]

I have a model FRT18P5AW2 model Frigidaire top freezer refrigerator. I have been experiencing water dripping on the top shelf. It appears to be coming from the top center of the unit, where there appears to be a diffuser. I checked the drain tup and found it clear of any debris. There is apparently...

Water is leaking into my refrigerator from someplace [ 2 Answers ]

There is a slow, steady drip coming from the top of the inside of the refrigerator. It is enough to put water on all the shelves. Right now I have bowls inside to catch the water. Is there anything I can do or should I all an applaiance reprair company? The refrigerator is about ten years old...

Removing inside of door refrigerator [ 3 Answers ]

I Need To Remove The Inside Panel Of A Sided-by-side Refrigerator To Work On The Water Valve Of The Indoor Water/ice System. How Do I Remove The Seal (I See No Screws Like There Used To Be)? Is It Glud On And If So How Do I Repace It When Im Finished?

MayTag freezer door opens when refrigerator door is closed [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm new here. I have a 9 year old Maytag refrigerator with a freezer on top. Recently whenever I close the refrigerator I notice that the freezer door pops open. I looked at the seals around it but can't see anything wrong. I did notice that I can simply tap on the door and it will...

View more questions Search