Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kolitari1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2007, 09:00 AM
    Roommate is kicking me out
    Hello ,

I have a very specific problem . I have been living in this house with a roommate 2-3 years now... I NEVER signed a lease it is under my roommates name. The past year she got a boyfriend who has been in our house EVERYDAY since then . They got married and he is living with us . We had a initial discussion that she wanted to keep the place. I said OK even though I didn't like it... she had signed a lease 5 years ago and never renewed it.She changed her mind and told me I will keep the place and I need to find a roommate. I said OK . I got myself furniture for the new place and I looked for a roommate as she told me to do . Initailly she was giving me till the end of the year and later one she said I have till end of August . Now yesterday she changed AGAIN her mind and told me she will keep the place . So I don't know what to do. Do I have any rights since I never signed a lease? Can she kick me out ?They are 2 and it is so much easier for them to find a place with both incomes rather than me that I'm single.I need to know what can I do ? I don't want to leave the apartment
    MB_NOLA Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2007, 09:17 PM
    If her name is on the lease and not your's, it sounds like you need to find a new place to live. The landlord might even know that you exist.

Start looking now. With colleges out for the summer, it might be easier to find a place now, instead of waiting.

Good luck! At least you have the furniture for the new place.
    kolitari1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2007, 07:54 PM
    Here is a new twist... to the story my landlord refinanced her house and now my roommate isn't on her lease as of yesterday and neither am I... so what happens now?? Can she still kick me out ? I happened to know about the refinacne of the house cause I happen to bump into an inspeactor that came to evaluate the house but my roommate doenst know about this . Can she still kick me out ? What are my options?
    Tootruetooblue Posts: 61, Reputation: 17

Jun 14, 2007, 12:44 PM
    Refinancing would not revoke an existing lease. You have no legal right to be there except at the invitation of your roommate, and as she has a lease and does not own the place, she likely isn't even allowed to invite you to live there. You should find a new place and get out of this weird situation.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 14, 2007, 12:52 PM
    What makes you think the roommate isn't on the lease any more? What the landlord does about refinancing has NO effect on the lease. If the roomie never signed a new lease then the original lease remains in affect on a month to month basis. Since your roomie is effectively your landlord, she holds the cards. Since you don't have a lease, she can terminate your tenancy with reasonable notice (at least one full rental period).
    faridas Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Nov 6, 2007, 09:02 PM
    Actually- your roommate would have to evict you depending on the law where you live here in sc if someone stays overnite w/ toothbrush and if they refuse to leave you have to go to magistrate and evict them either the roommate and landlord would have too

Btw- what was outcome?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AC condenser not kicking on. [ 1 Answers ]

I live in SW Florida and yeasterday there was a power outage that left us without power for some time. FPL said that there was a main line that was tken down by a tree. We did not immediately turn the AC on after the power came back on (the thermostat was off when power returned). We turned it...

Kicking a child out [ 6 Answers ]

My parents still have my 37 year old brother still living at home. They were told by him that since he is getting his mail there, even if he is not paying rent, he is a renter and that they cannot just kick him out. Is this true?

Blower kicking on/off [ 3 Answers ]

Hi folks, 1st time I've used the internet for asking questions. Have Bryant furnace. Blower is running,but, is stopping and starting, it sounds like "thumping" in the attic, continuously throughout the cycle. Even after the cycle stops it continues to "thump". This happens for both the furnace and...

Roommate Harrassment/Nightmare roommate [ 1 Answers ]

I've been living with my roommate for over 4 months now in a 2 bedroom apartment in western PA. We both signed a 1 year lease with the landlord. Little did I realize I signed a lease with a nightmare of a roommate. She throws parties 3+ nights a week, her friends smoke in the building (no smoking...

Kicking an old lady when she's down. [ 1 Answers ]

I've had the misfortune of being disabled with a back problem in 2001-ish. Received Social Security Disability finally in 2003. During all this I struggled to keep my desk at the Realtors office but had to stop. I went from making a good living to nothing! Needless to say.. I stopped paying my...

View more questions Search