Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pmh383388 Posts: 58, Reputation: 2

Jun 4, 2007, 02:20 AM
    How to regularly maintain and tuned-up my computer ?
    What I have to do to regularly maintain and tune-up my computer for peak performance ?

What are the best softwares to use ? And how often I have to use them ?Where to get them ?

Thanks !
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 4, 2007, 02:24 AM
    Here's my usual C&P for cases like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben's maintenance tips
    When was the last time you did some serious maintenance on your system ?

System maintenance includes:
    Defrag
    FULL patching
    Virus scanning
    Spyware scanning
    removal of rubish files

Defrag is an inbuilt function in XP.
    Open My Computer > Right click C: > Tools Tab and its there.

To make sure everything is running fine run both anti virus and anti spyware apps in normal AND safe modes. (make sure that they are updated first ! ;)) (AVG is good and free AV)
    (A couple of good removal tools are Spybot and Adaware)

ALso an on line virus and spyware scanner is Trend Housecall

Just a note: actively running two AV's on one machine can cause problems.
    So if you are thinking about it make sure your current one is disabled first.
    Same thing applies to online scanners as well.

Removal of junk files is easy with CCleaner a free app that does exactly what
    How often, well that's up to you.
    I do with monthly

This lot should resolve your issue.
    MOKHALAKE Posts: 7, Reputation: 3

Jun 4, 2007, 07:44 AM
    Sometimes The Performance Of Your Computer Can Be Affectect By Viruses.
    The Best Way To Save Your Computer Is To Use An Antiviruse.
    Eg You Can Use Avg Antiviruse, You Can Down Load It
    Lord_Darkclaw Posts: 295, Reputation: 38

Jun 4, 2007, 10:06 AM
    I think CurlyBen has covered most of it, follow his guide and your PC should run very well.

Make sure that you update Windows regularly - if in doubt, click on Start> Control Panel > Update. At the very least, you should be running Service Pack 2 if you have Windows XP... don't ask me about Vista though, I'm not sure anyone has gotten their head around that monster yet!

I use AVG Antivirus, AdAware SE, SpyBot Search & Destroy, C Cleaner and Zone Alarm Firewall. They are all free and downloadable from any freeware site - try the freeware section in SnapFiles.

BelArc Advisor and CPU Z are also quite useful for finding out exactly what hardware you have inside your PC.
    Oh, and if you are using a desktop PC give the fan a good clean once in a while! It's a dust trap.
    jstrike Posts: 418, Reputation: 44

Jun 6, 2007, 07:25 AM
    There's some really good advice here and here's my addition...
    I don't really like the Windows de-fragger... it'll work but I prefer either Symantec Speed Disk ($) or Auslogics Disk Defrag. (free)
    Symantec also has a tool for cleaning the registry... a fat registry is another thing that will greatly reduce the speed of your computer.

SP 2 is a must have... if you do not have it and you've had an issue with spyware then be very very careful when you install it. I've had the OS get corrupted more often than not when upgrading a spyware ridden computer to SP2.
    CCLeaner is a good app for removing junk files.
    SpyBot Search & Destroy is a must have.
    As for AV software you can ask 50 different people and get 50 conflicting views of what the best and worst is. Fine a popular program you like and keep it updated. Many ISP's now offer free AV software so that might be worth looking into.

Finally try to schedule as much of this as possible so you don't have to remember to do it. My computer is on 24/7 and with the exception of CCLeaner everything I have is automated so I don't have to think about it.

Edit: Oh yeah... it's a good idea to run CCLeaner before you defrag.
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2007, 07:56 AM
    It is a good practice only to defrag after installing or uninstalling a number of new programs, I don't recommend you to do a lot defrag because it can have a unforeseen problem to the hard disk.

So remember only when big files are added or removed
    invisibleman_productions Posts: 207, Reputation: 12

Jun 6, 2007, 08:21 AM
    Get the best free clean up tools to clean up the spyware from your temp folder ?
    Security News from the net: Clean up tools to prevent people from tracing your internet surfing

TweakNow RegCleaner Standard
    Tweak Now! - Tweaking Windows Couldn't Be Easier

Read Windows XP Super Tweaks and stop un-necessary xp services.
    Security News from the net: Windows XP Super Tweaks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trane XL80 Can't Maintain Flame [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Trane XL80 furnace. Basically, when it receives a call for heat, it ignites but cannot maintain the flame. As soon as the flame ignites (or within 10 seconds), it cuts off the gas flow and starts the ignition process again. It does this until the furnace locks out. Sometimes (probably 10%...

Doesn't maintain contact but want to go to motel [ 12 Answers ]

Now this is very strange... My boyfriend of 4 months with whom I broke merely because of his hot and cold attitude, comes around again and wants to meet me at the motel and says wants to spend some time together. Now I am wondering someone who is not contacting me that much, doesn't text me often...

Need formulas to find speed to maintain orbit [ 2 Answers ]

The earth has a mass of 5.97x10^-11kg. Sun has a mass of 2.0x10^-30. They are 93,000,000 miles apart. How fast does earth have to move to stay in orbit aroun sun? How do you solve this?

Furnace won't maintain temp - shuts off [ 5 Answers ]

Furnace problem - Turn temp to 70 Furnace runs until 70 degrees Maintains temperature for awhile - probably for a couple of hours At some point it stops maintaining the temperature and keeps kicking on and off. I've watched the thermostat - I'll actually turn the temp up to try to get it to...

View more questions Search