Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sooners1950 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2007, 04:55 PM
    Estate Settlement
    My mother died 11 months ago and I was appointed her personal representative. Her estate consisted of her home. She had a savings account with my sister as a joint account holder. As this was outside of the estate my sister disbursed a portion of the funds to the 5 siblings shortly after my mother died. One of my brothers started hassling me to give him a copy of the estate income tax. I refused because I knew he wuold hassle my sister to no end.

We are about ready to finalize and distribute the estate proceeds which is money from the sale of her house. My sister has been holding on to the remainder of the money in the savings account to settle final expenses and intends to disburse the money after the estate is settled.

If my brother does not sign a receipt and release document will the Judgement of Final Distribution process protect me and my sister from any petty litigation from him?

My sister intends to send all heirs a bank statement from the savings account and an itemized accounting of all expenditures.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 3, 2007, 05:03 PM
    First the bank account with the sister as joint owner is not part of the estate, and did not have to even be included, and the sister did not have to give anyone a penny out of that money. So anyone that gets any money from it, and any bills she pays out of it, is just her being nice or fullfilling a promice to her mom.

He is freee to sue over it, and unless you are doing something illegal give him full disclosure, most likely he is more concerned than ever if you refused to give him a the tax statement.

Him getting any money from that account is between him and that sister who is the owner of that account now, not the estate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much settlement do we get? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi My name is Barry and I am living in the State of Illinois. Now last year September my wife who was 9 months pregnant with my son was hit by a driver who was on his cellphone and ran a stop sign. She was rushed to the hospital via ambulance where she spent on night and after that she had to have...

Auto Accident: Damage Settlement not Injury Settlement [ 13 Answers ]

Hello all and thank you in advance for your kind answers. My Girlfriend was involved in an accident in November. Here are some key points about the event. 1. Accident Fault - Fault was clearly the other driver Documented in the Police report. 2. Vehicle is currently financed - In both of...

Problems with Executor of Estate not signing sales contract for real estate [ 4 Answers ]

My sister and I are the beneficiaries of our mothers will. She died when I was 17 and left my sister and I half of her estate, and named her doctor as the executor. I am now 22 and my sister is 20 (21 next month). We all agreed (verbally) to sell the family house to our father for $125k. He...

Settlement [ 1 Answers ]

My husband is getting a settlement from a pharmisuitcal company. He is on S.S.D. He is not good with handling money,so he wants to sign the check over to me. I will than deposit to my account. MY question is this, This settlement was granted to him because he almost died from medication. This money...

Settlement? [ 2 Answers ]

I recently totaled out a new car... don't have any idea why we didn't have gap... Anyway, I owe after insurance about $9500.00. Our credit is reasonable about 630... I have offered a settlement amount of $8200. They said that the credit report will reflect that: settlement: paid in full. ...

View more questions Search