Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    guyhood Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2007, 04:16 PM
    Running THHN wire above 8 feet.
    I am wiring a barn/shop area and have run all wiring in EMT conduit except above 8 feet where I have run some ROMEX to lights. My question is: I need one extra wire for a 3-way switch traveler wire. Can I staple this along side of the ROMEX wire above 8' in the hi bay area, or does it have to be in conduit. I was trying to avoid buying more ROMEX wire, and had this THHN left over from the conduit runs.
    Thanks, Guy
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 3, 2007, 08:23 PM
    Can you do it, sure you can but no electrician would ever talk to you again. Guy, its just not safe to do it this way. Put it in conduit, run another romex or buy 3 wire and save the romex you currently have.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2007, 06:19 AM
    If power is making it to one switch box and light switchleg goes to other. Then you could
    Use the 12-2 w/ground for travellers. The 2 are travellers and ground is ground.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2007, 03:15 PM
    First, I said if power was available at one switch location, and switchlegg was going to other location.
    THEN IT WOULD BE POSSIBLE TO USE 2 CONDUCTORS FOR TRAVELLERS.
    3RD WIRE IS THE HOT AT ONE BOX, THE 3RD WIRE AT THE OTHER BOX IS THE SWITCHLEG.
    REREAD MY POST, then if you can remove you little red mark, I would appreciate it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hard wire 3 wire to 4 wire 220 service [ 1 Answers ]

How do I hard wire my 3 wire (red,blk & bare copper wires) 220vac cooktop to the 4 wire (black/white stripe,black/red stripe, blk/blk & bare alum wires) in the house supply j-box ?

Hard wire 3 wire to 4 wire 220 service [ 2 Answers ]

How do I hard wire my 3 wire (red,blk & bare copper wires) 220vac cooktop to the 4 wire (black/white stripe,black/red stripe, blk/blk & bare alum wires) in the house supply j-box ?

Bath tub shower spout & head running water running at same time [ 1 Answers ]

I started with a slight dripping problem(sayko system).i decided to replace all 3 stem assemblies together as they all were about 18 years old.after reassembling the new stems(danko brand),turned on the water supply & checked faucets.hot & cold worked fine but when the shower was turned on,water...

Running 14/2 wire [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I will be running 14/2 wire with ground to run a wall a/c unit. The a/c unit pulls about 12.5 amps. Question is some part of the wire will be run outside under a deck. About 15 feet. This part I obviously will have to protect with conduit but is it really necessary for me to have to...

3-wire home, 3-wire fan, 2-wire remote [ 9 Answers ]

Greetings, My home is 3-wire. I bought a Hunter ceiling fan (model 23811). The fan came with a remote assy. That I do NOT want to use... The fan has standard 3-wire connections (black, white, blk&white strip, ground). The remote receiver home-side wiring looks to be for 2-wire (blk and white)....

View more questions Search