Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 22, 2005, 02:59 PM
    Older Software Won't Work On Win XP Pro
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys,
    Speedball1 from the Plumbing Page here. I have a bunch of flight simulations left over from my old computer that are Win 95 programs. Is there a way I can load and install them on a Win XP Pro platform and make them work? I've gone into propertys and did the compatibility thing. No joy! Any ideas out there or do I just convert the old CDs into frisbees? Thanks, Tom
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2005, 06:31 AM
    Too Old
    Hi,
    In short, use them for frizbees!
    I still use Win98SE; and love it, because the older image/photo programs work with it, such as Microsoft Picture It99, and others. They willl not work with XP, cause XP is an entirely different designed windows; designed that way by Microsoft so one would also have to buy Microsofts' newer photo programs!
    Maybe there is a chance you could find similar CD's somewhere on the web using a Search engine that will work with XP.; course it means having to probably buy them.
    Best of luck,
    fredg
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 29, 2005, 09:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    They willl not work with XP, cause XP is an entirely different designed windows; designed that way by Microsoft so one would also have to buy Microsofts' newer photo programs!!
    Yes its true that XP is an entirely different designed Windows. But the rest
    Of it is a crock! Where do you get such ideas? Is it rampant paranoia?

The original MS DOS was designed as a standalone, single user, single tasking OS. It was also designed as an 8 Bit OS. Those design factors caused limitations in networking and multi-tasking. So Microsoft designed NT from the ground up to be a multi-user, multi-tasking OS. To be able to do that meant sunsetting older programs that were written for the older OSes. Microsoft has worked very hard at providing backward compatibility with older hardware and software. Too hard in my opinion because it puts limits on what the new OSes can do. So to say that MS redesigned Windows so that people would be forced to buy ANYONE's newer programs of any type is just a load of baloney. But then, that's what we have come to expect from you.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 29, 2005, 10:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Yes its true that XP is an entirely different designed Windows. But the rest
    of it is a crock! Where do you get such ideas? Is it rampant paranoia?

The original MS DOS was designed as a standalone, single user, single tasking OS. It was also designed as an 8 Bit OS. Those design factors caused limitations in networking and multi-tasking. So Microsoft designed NT from the ground up to be a multi-user, multi-tasking OS. To be able to do that meant sunsetting older programs that were written for the older OSes. Microsoft has worked very hard at providing backward compatibility with older hardware and software. Too hard in my opinion because it puts limits on what the new OSes can do. So to say that MS redesigned Windows so that people would be forced to buy ANYONE's newer programs of any type is just a load of baloney. But then, that's what we have come to expect from you.
    Now, now children, play nice!

OK, so I can't use the damm things. I thought there might be some way I could adapt them over to Win XP but they're going to look nice and shiny when I hang them on the xmas tree next season. Thank you both for your help. Tom aka "The Speedster"

May 29, 2005, 01:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Now, now children, play nice!!
    Tom aka "The Speedster"
    Tom,
    Sorry that your thread got interrupted with this. But I can't "play nice" when someone posts such total garbage. There is no truth to it and Fred needed to be called out on it. Making things up out whole cloth does no one any good. Think about how you would feel if you saw someone claiming to be a plumbing expert telling people that copper piping contaminates water (not sure how good an analogy that is but I think you get the drift).

People who ask questions here and on other sites look to those who answer questions as authorities. We have a responsibility to post the most accurate info we can. I take that responsibility seriously. Apparently Fred doesn't.
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

May 30, 2005, 10:04 AM
    Older software on XP
    As it's a holiday here in the UK,I had a look on the net,and came up with this URL for DOS based games which should work on XP.I've read the techi bit,and it does look a bit like all day reading,but it just goes to show that anything is possible.

http://www.dosgames.com/xphints.php

I may have missed the point,but if Sir Bill did not want older programs to work with XP,he would not have included a compatibility mode surelly? All right,some things might not work,but at least it's installed.Some certainly will however,as my nephew has a game going back to 98SE,and it installed fine in XP under compatibility mode.

All the best,
    Nez.

May 30, 2005, 01:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nez
    I may have missed the point,but if Sir Bill did not want older programs to work with XP,he would not have included a compatibility mode surelly? All right,some things might not work,but at least it's installed.All the best,
    Nez.
    Nez,
    Nice site reference. It may certainly help speedball.

No, you didn't miss the point. The fact is that Microsoft HAS gone through great pains to provide backward compatibility. As I said, I wish they didn't go so far as it places limits on other things. The point here is that you are thinking. You take facts and follow them to their logical conclusion. I wish most people would do that instead of spouting nonsense in the guise of trying to help.
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2005, 06:10 AM
    Reported
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Tom,
    Sorry that your thread got interrupted with this. But I can't "play nice" when someone posts such total garbage. There is no truth to it and Fred needed to be called out on it. Making things up out whole cloth does no one any good. Think about how you would feel if you saw someone claiming to be a plumbing expert telling people that copper piping contaminates water (not sure how good an analogy that is but I think you get the drift).

People who ask questions here and on other sites look to those who answer questions as authorities. We have a responsibility to post the most accurate info we can. I take that responsibility seriously. Apparently Fred doesn't.
    You are being reported for harassment, over and over again, to this website.
    Maybe someday, this website will do something about your complete disregard for others. This situation with you is getting even worse; which indicates you are really in need of help, mentally.
    fredg

Jun 5, 2005, 03:19 PM
    You are being reported for harassment, over and over again, to this website.
    Maybe someday, this website will do something about your complete disregard for others. This situation with you is getting even worse; which indicates you are really in need of help, mentally.
    fredg
    Fred, Fred, Fred. You keep spouting the same old garbage. How you can say I have a "complete disregard for others" is beyond me. I'm not the one posting bad answers. I may have a complete disregard for you, but I'm not alone in that. I've heard from lots of helpers who have no respect for you and your ability to answer questions.

I will repeat what I have said to you many times. My first and only concern is the quality of the help given. When I seen an answer from ANYONE that includes the ridiculous statements you made about Windows compatibility in this thread, I feel I have an obligation to counter such garbage with more factual information. The reason why you are so often the target of such corrections is because you so often give bad answers. If you were more careful about your answers and not post such garabage as you did here, then I would have nothing to say and you would not hear from me.

Your response to such posting is not to clean up your act, but to just post more garabge in personal attacks that are easily disproved. Things like questioning my mental stability, disparaging my level of knowledge, posting lies about my actions etc.

You aren't fooling anyone. Most of the helpers here see you for what you are. If you keep reporting my alleged harassment, the most likely result will be you getting kicked off and I would support that action.

Scott<>
    coolplanets Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2005, 07:50 AM
    Access internet through network
    To all,
    I have two PC, now I had link together to share a file.(did't using any router or hub between this two PC , just using network cable"workgroup").
    One PC have dial up modem(call A pc) and another no modem, just only lan(call B pc).
    Now I want using B PC to connect to internet, it is possible to set up?
    (If A PC already dial up the internet)

Hope you all understand what I mean

Another question is anybody have motorola c380 handphone driver?
    What website can download the driver?

Thanks a lot
    :o

Jul 3, 2005, 04:56 AM
    First, when starting a new question please start a new thread, not piggyback on someone else's.

What you need is to run some sort of proxy or Internet Connection Sharing software. You didn't mention what version of Windows, but some have ICS built in and you should be able to use that. It would mean both PCs would have to be on.

It also matters what Internet service you use.
    Ultra Member

Jul 4, 2005, 06:04 AM
    Thread
    This thread is being beat to death, too.
    fredg

Jul 5, 2005, 08:12 AM
    fredg
    Fred if you actually read the thread you would see Coolplanets had a totally new questions so your comment was offbase.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2005, 09:12 AM
    fredg
    It was a waste of space... :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My older dog won't eat [ 7 Answers ]

I hope I'm using this correctly - I'm fairly new to internet conversations. My (soon to be) 16 year old dog stopped eating following medication for his cough caused by his heart murmur. We took him off the medicine when it elevated his BUN kidney results, but he has failed to return to a normal...

Older 220 volt wire [ 13 Answers ]

I have an older 220v wire with only 3 wires... 2 hot and 1 ground/neutral (bare). I need to connect (splice) it to a newer 220v wire with 4 wires... 2 hot, 1 neutral (white), and a ground (bare). And older I mean less than 15 years old.

Older dog [ 11 Answers ]

I am struggling with an older dog in my household. He is 17 so I am lucky he is still around. It is a male schnauzer. He eats with no problem, but goesn't always take the medication that he needs of 5 pills in the morning, and 4 in the evening. If he is hungry, he will devour them with his...

Older MTD Rider Won't Start [ 5 Answers ]

I have an older MTD rider with a 12 hp B & S it was serviced at the end of last season and worked fine up till now. The mower started to crank then just stopped. It would only click when turning the key. I tried to jump but no go. I took the battery to be tested it was low but good so they charged...

Older Software Won't Work On Win XP Pro [ 1 Answers ]

Hi guys, Speedball1 from the Plumbing Page here. I have a bunch of flight simulations left over from my old computer that are Win 95 programs. Is there a way I can load and install them on a Win XP Pro platform and make them work? I've gone into propertys and did the compatibility thing. No...

View more questions Search