Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lynbaby Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jun 3, 2007, 02:31 AM
    Legs on Antique Table are too short
    I have a lovely antique dining table that has been in my family for four generations, but the turned legs that are on small castors are too shortfor us, and it's difficult to sit at. How can I "extend" the legs so that the 6-foot+ members of our family can sit at the table comfortably?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2007, 03:10 AM
    I am glad that your family has grown. Too bad the furniture doesn't grow with them!

My suggestion would be to try to preserve the integrity of the piece by not cutting up any of the wood. That does not prevent you from adding to it without cutting it up though.

Since the table is valued as a family heirloom, and is also a potentially valuable antique, it would be good to preserve it's original construction as much as possible.

If the circumference of the legs are large enough, maybe wooden extensions can be added to the ends of them? What about longer or larger castors? Maybe remove the existing castors, keep them somewhere so that they can be put back on later, and adding specially made castor cups that will blend in with the finish and extend the length of the legs? What about taking off the existing legs and storing them and having legs made that will adjust to the height of your family?

Just some ideas. If I had a picture of the legs, it would be helpful for me in order to give you a more concrete answer.

One of the things that I do for a living, is that I refinish furniture. I have had to alter furniture in order to accommodate certain things within a household.
    Lynbaby Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jun 3, 2007, 04:18 AM
    Thanks Clough - yes, I think the castors could be replaced - they are quite small. And cups would add a little bit too. We'll do this and be much more comfortable... :)
    Thanks again!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Antique sewing machine [ 5 Answers ]

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this or not. I have an old(? ) treadle sewing machine in a fold-away wooden cabinet. It is a "Beaver" sewing machine and I have not been able to find any information on it at all. Can anyone help me with finding out how much it is worth, or where to...

Antique headboard [ 2 Answers ]

I recently bought a headboard/footboard from a dealer, who only had two of the brackets. They are made to hook into the old board (single hook) and bolt onto a modern frame. I've attached a photo of the bracket. Has anyone ever seen anything like this? Or know of a different bracket that has a...

Re-wiring antique chandellier [ 1 Answers ]

I have undertaken the task of re-wiring an (8) eight lamp fixture, which has small base sockets rated at 75w each. My first question is that:If the primary power source is 18ga. Lamp cord, after the box which is 14/2 w/grnd. What is the correct wire application? Second question: Is a separate...

Antique mower [ 1 Answers ]

I have an antique riding lawn mower that has a Briggs and Stanton engine, was made by MILBRADT. My guess it was made in the 1920's or 30's. Does anyone know anything about these? Year or value?

View more questions Search