Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2007, 10:35 PM
    Capicators,outdoor fan motor
    I have a outdoor fan prob.on a condenser unit a/c heatpump,the outdoor fan motor seemed to be bad replaces and ran fine for a short time and quit,I`m thinking the capicator.the motor has only 1 brown wire to attach to capicator, putting in a capicator for the fan motor only,, do I just hook up the one wire to it or do I need to run another hot wire from the contactor to one side of capicator? Thanks
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2007, 10:59 PM
    Just install a dual capacitor, but if the fan was running and quit I say that you have it miswired.
    JackT Posts: 260, Reputation: 19

Jun 3, 2007, 07:11 AM
    Does the compressor shut off when the fan quits? If so, you may be low on refrigerant, the low pressure switch shuts off both the compressor and the fan after it runs for a while. Depending on how low it is, it may only run for seconds or it could take several minutes.
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2007, 02:03 PM
    No,, compresser keeps running,, freon checks out OK,, just the fan motor stops,

Jun 3, 2007, 05:54 PM
    The capacitor needs two wires to work properly. Usually theirs two brown wires for the capacitor, one of them may have a white stripe on it. Your new motor should have a diagram on it that will show you how to conenct it. If your unit's a heat pump, you may have a bad defrost board. There's usually a relay on the board that controls the fan during the defrost cycle.
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2007, 07:19 PM
    The motor only has 3 wires, 2 goes to lead,the other brown to capacitor,, it never did go into defrost while in a/c mode, that I ever noticed
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2007, 08:08 PM
    What type of capacitor does the compressor have? You always need to install a new capacitor when you change a fan motor, the label on the side of the motor should tell you what size capacitor you will need.

Jun 4, 2007, 02:50 AM
    I can't tell you what wires go where, there are to many possibilities. If you give us the make and model of the motor, that will help. The diagram on the motor should tell you what wires go the cap.
    Sola612 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2011, 11:50 PM
    Can someone answer this question for me?
    On getting to a job, I found out that the fan terminal on a dual capacitor doesn't have enough volts to help the fan to start with the compressor. However, the terminal part of the capacitor for the compressor was good at 34.4 out of 35. It was a weedend when all the part house were closed. I had a 5 mF, which the fan motor uses. I liked to wire it separately into the unit to make the fan work. How can I wire this?
    Sola612 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2011, 11:51 PM
    Comment on Sola612's post
    This is a question and not an aswer to any question.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outdoor fan on heat pump runs [ 2 Answers ]

The fan on an outdoor carrier unit won't turn off. Turned off at thermostate, tried everything, had to turn it off at the breaker. I am thinking maybe a relay is stuck. Is this a part I can pick up and replace myself or is it a different problem all together Thanks

AC Fan Motor [ 4 Answers ]

What is the difference in the wiring for a 3 speed motor and a 4 speed motor? I'm having trouble with the reconnection of the new motor.

Ceiling fan with light kit on separate switches [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently replaced a ceiling fan with light kit with a newer model. I hooked up the wires from the new fan/light to the same wires in the ceiling box that the old fan was hooked up to. There are two switches on the wall plate, one for the light and one for the fan. When I hooked up the new...

Outdoor Balcony Fan Light.. [ 8 Answers ]

Hello everyone! I have a fan/light unit that is going to be installed on the third floor balcony of a vacation home. Are any special requirements in order since it is outside although it does have a covered roof and is 3-sided. Anhy help appreciated. Also I have (2) receptacles on each floor...

View more questions Search