Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carrie1234 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2005, 04:08 PM
    Receiving an inheritance
    I am receiving an inheritance from an uncle that pass in Canada (I live in Colorado), the amount is around 40k... what are my tax liabilities, I know that I will get about 71% of this because of the canada/us exchange.. do have have to declare this as income (state and federal)?

Thanks!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 22, 2005, 02:38 PM
    Carrie1234:

For an inheritance that small, there will be no estate tax liability in the U.S. There may be a tax liability for Canada.

You do not have to report any on the inheritance on your income taxes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I file taxes when receiving disability? [ 24 Answers ]

I am a single mother receiving social security disability. Do I need to file a tax return?

I Am Not Receiving Mails In My Yahoo Account [ 14 Answers ]

HI GUYS, I will be very grateful if someone can help me solve my problem. I have a Yahoo acount and I am sending mails from my other account to my Yahoo account and I am not receiving any mails. I also tried using the account to send out mails and it is not sending nor receiving mails. I relly...

Receiving money? [ 1 Answers ]

Recently I received checks for my pension plan from a place of previous employment. I was confused because I was not there long enough to be fully vested, so I called the mutual company and they said that in their contract it said nothing about being vested and that the money was mine. I even...

Receiving Faxes On Windows XP [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings! I have had my system (windows XP Home) set up to receive faxes for quite a while now, with no problems whatsoever. (This really helps to cut out all those junk faxes printing out on a regular fax machine! ) For web access I have DSL. The same phone line is shared for the two...

View more questions Search