Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kimah1912 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2007, 11:40 AM
    Give up rights to a child--still pay child support?
    I live in Florida and have a question about giving up the rights to a child that has been determined by DNA testing. If rights are given up, does that parent still have to pay child support?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2007, 12:42 PM
    Kimah, if you are stating that through DNA testing, it was determined that what was originally thought to be the father, is in actuality not, and the court has allowed him to give up his rights as the father, no, the man is not obligated to pay child support for the child.

If I misunderstood the question, please give more detail and clarification to the situation, and either I, or someone else here, will help you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 2, 2007, 03:25 PM
    If you have been proven to be the father, sorry I can't tell for sure you are saying you were proved to be or not to be the father.

But if you are the father, giving up rights has nothing to do with child support unless the other parent has a partner that wants to adopt, all you are giving up is your rights to the child, not any obligation as a father.
    victoria_mitchell Posts: 242, Reputation: 32

Jun 2, 2007, 04:11 PM
    If you're the father rights or not you MUST pay child support trust me I know because my father and my brother and sisters father both pay child suport and have no rights what so ever we and haven't seen them in years and years
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2007, 04:16 PM
    I wish Kimah would clarify. Very confusing post. I got the impression it was proven by DNA, that "he" wasn't the father. That can make all the difference in the world if there has been some wrangling over paternity.

Kimah, both Fr Chuck & Victoria are right. If you are just signing away rights, doesn't get you off the hook to pay child support. Just means that you give up your legal right to make decisions in the child's life.
    tiffanyl0618 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2007, 04:12 PM
    [F]From my knowledge, because I just went through that last week. My son's father wanted to do that until he realized that it wouldn't turn out in his favor; and if he is not working that he will still have to pay or go to jail. The person who wants to give up their rights to the child/children do in fact still have to pay child support because there have been too many fathers giving up their rights just so they don't have to pay child support (the dead-beat dads). The judges got tired of that happening and leaving mothers in a bind and I believe that there is a law that states the parent still has to pay because they made the baby also and it's not right for the other parent and child to suffer and not get things the child may need.
    I hope that helped a little.
    smile4u1999 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2007, 09:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kimah1912
    I live in Florida and have a question about giving up the rights to a child that has been determined by DNA testing. If rights are given up, does that parent still have to pay child support?
    My boyfriend is going through the same thing. He has a 6 year old that the mother is not letting him see his son as a court order I know that in Minnesota if both of the parents agree, that this could happen. And he is not resposible for child support then.
    babieface85 Posts: 332, Reputation: 24

Jun 5, 2007, 02:01 PM
    You need to know your state laws. My post is true in some states but not in others. Giving up rights to a child is different than giving up legal and physical custody. When you give up custody you still have the right to visit the child and sue for more custody later on in the Child's life. You are required to pay child support because you are still a legal parent. If you terminate your rights you will have no right to custody even if the mother were to die. You are never entitled to visit the child. The decision to give up rights to a child is permanent where giving up custody is not permanent. You will not have to pay child support if you terminate your rights. Terminating your rights is a big decision and not one to be made because you are worried about money.
    sueb673 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2008, 08:25 PM
    I believe that he will not have to, but he will have to pay all back child support! Remember it is hard to get those rights taken away without hard evidence
    sueb673

Quote Originally Posted by kimah1912
    JUJUBEAN Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2008, 09:13 PM
    If a father wants to give up the parental rights to his child is he obligated to pay child support any more this is in Tennessee
    lilladyp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2010, 02:40 PM
    Do you have to have a Attorney to summit that paper work or its something the fathers can do themselves.
    martinizing2 Posts: 1,868, Reputation: 819
    Expert

Jul 21, 2010, 09:11 PM

I have heard of this. Fathers giving up all rights thinking it would relieve them of their support obligation. And I have not yet found that happening in any of the instances I am familiar with.

But it causes me to wonder what kind of person would give up the rights to their children in order to get out of paying support.

That is getting way down on the scale as far as I am concerned.
    It puts them in the "Species in question" niche.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why does anyone sign away parental rights, if they still pay child support? [ 10 Answers ]

I've been doing lots of reading up on signing away parental rights, and have read over and over that you are only signing away your rights, not your responsibilities or obligations. What I don't understand, is, why would a father choose to sign over his parental rights, yet still be obligated...

I want to see my son and pay child support! [ 4 Answers ]

My son mother moved to Las Vegas when he was 3 years old at this time me and her was together living in the same house and every thing . She went down to the walfare office and told them she did not know were I was but at the time I was right there with her and my son. Now 13 years later since we...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

How do I give up my rights for my adopted child [ 4 Answers ]

My ex-girlfriend and I adopted a child two years ago and since that time she has refused to let me see the child. I have went to court and gotten a court order but she has refused to follow it. She has know accused me of using drugs among other things. She lies consistently. She has taken me to...

How can I give up my rights to a child? [ 5 Answers ]

This girl I was with a while back is saying that I fathered her child. Well I really don't want anything to do with this child because of her mother and the harassment she puts on me and my family.. how can I go about giving up my rights?

View more questions Search