Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    puzeld Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2007, 08:26 AM
    Tree roots - Maple
    As is common with new plantings by builders cpntractors, the maple tree behind my house was istalled with about a third of its root system above ground level in a too-shallow hole and with a token amount of soil to cover them. The planting was done about 5 years ago. My question: will it damage the tree too much if, using a sharp implement, the above-ground portion are removed from the trunk outwards and then replacing the mound with good soil for flower-planting purposes?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 2, 2007, 10:29 AM
    Maple roots are pretty much all in the first two feet. Any cutting will compromised the tree. May not kill it, but it will if you cut enough roots. Adding soil should have been done long ago and now you should only adding just enouh to cover the roots. Some Maple aren't very nice trees and their roots surface on their own as the tree grows. If it's a silver maple I'd get rid of it but that's just me. Mulching over the roots is fine.
    codycry Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2007, 07:16 PM
    I have a large Maple tree outside my townhouse ,in a very small area, can the roots go under the foundation,as it is they are well above the earth
    Thank you for an answer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maple tree roots [ 2 Answers ]

I have a maple tree with roots growing into the foundation of my house. These roots are all above ground. Can I cut them without killing the tree?:confused: TIA.. Gloria

Cutting maple tree roots [ 1 Answers ]

I am digging a 18" diameter hole for a carport footing. There is a 3 1/3 root that runs through the place where the hole is. The hole is about 20 feet from the tree and the root is about 2 feet from the surface. The tree is at least 40 years old and over 40 feet tall. Can I cut this root without...

Maple tree roots. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi - I purchased a 1922 Colonial on Long Island and in the front yard, about 20 feet from the house, is a grand old maple tree. It is between the sidewalk and the curb and is tearing up part of my sidewalk and curb. I really don't want to take the tree down and I'd rather have a contractor come...

View more questions Search