Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adawg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2007, 02:19 AM
    Unfit parent
    Hi! My wife has a nine year old daughter and I have been her father since she was about three. She believes I am her real father so far. The actual biological father has never met her, paid child support, or even know her name. He knew he was the father before she was born and chose to disappear. In the state of PA would this be seen as an unfit father and not require us to have his consent to me adopting her. Also we have been married 3 years.

Thanks in advance!
    leilaa111 Posts: 65, Reputation: 5

Jun 2, 2007, 02:58 AM
    I think by law they should contact him 2 let him no that this going 2 happen if they can't find him that will a good excuse for you guys but if they don't no his reasons so they must contact him and let him no hope it all goes good
    LadyB Posts: 320, Reputation: 42

Jun 2, 2007, 05:20 AM
    It's possible to petition for an involuntary TPR so you can then petition for adoption, but whether you are required to attempt contact via certified letter or publishing an announcement varies by jurisdiction. You should probably hire a family attorney to help you navigate this.
    vlee Posts: 454, Reputation: 109

Jun 2, 2007, 08:29 AM
    I am from PA. I do not believe you can legally adopt this child without the bio dad's consent unless his rights have been terminated by the courts. You will be forced to locate him and get consent. Are you afraid he will want to be a part of your daughter's life if you have to contact him? Have your attorney contact him and ask him to sign away his parental rights so you can adopt the child. He doesn't see her anyway, and this gets him off the hook for having to pay child support, which your wife could file for any old time. Best of luck.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 2, 2007, 09:03 AM
    If the father can't be found ( the court will have rules on contact)

But let me explain, why are you not getting child support, how many times have you contacted child support enforcement, how many times have you taken him back to court to find him in contempt.

As for the child, please note even if you do adopt, she needs to know about it, waiting till she is 16 and she needs her birth certificate to get her drivers license is a bad time for her to find out you are not her bio dad.

It is possible that because he has not had any contact ( if he has been notified of where the child is, if the mother moved and did not notify him, that can be a defense for him also)

But basically the start will be a local attorney, who will send the bio father notification and see if he will sign, and then if he does not, you hit him hard for back child support, current child support, garnish his paycheck and more. ( then he may decide he can sign over his rights much easier)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unfit parent [ 10 Answers ]

My son is in iraq. He has a 1 year old daughter who lives with her mother. The mother has been diagnosed bi-polar but does not seek treatment. A lot of the time she is very unstable I am very concerned for the safety of my grand-daughter. I know it is not easy to obtain custody but at the same time...

What is considered an unfit parent [ 10 Answers ]

I know someone( a neighbor) who has 2yr old daughter and she parties every weekend either at a club or at home and the little girl is around if she is partying at home and if she goes out she lets whoever watch her. She does receive child support but makes up excuses every time the father wants to...

Proving an unfit parent [ 5 Answers ]

I am trying to determine what constitutes an unfit parent in the courts.

Unfit Parent [ 3 Answers ]

PLEASE PLEASE... how do you prove an unfit parent? We have a hearing coming up this Friday and he is trying to say I am unfit because the children missed a lot of school. They do have documentation as to why they missed. They were seeing a child psychologist but his attorney had the judge stop the...

Unfit Parent Info [ 30 Answers ]

Does anyone know where I can find info on what determines an unfit parent in the state of Oklahoma?

View more questions Search