Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Grangy27 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2007, 06:58 PM
    Replacing furnace air A/C?
    I have a Lennox pulse furnace that is 23 years old and a Lennox A/C that is 22 years old.
    My question is: should I replace them for newer equipment before they break down, or just run them into the ground. The price of hydro keeps going up. They get serviced every second year.

I live in Kitchener, Ontario
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2007, 07:34 PM
    KEEP THE PULSE, if maintained a Lennox pulse will last you a awhile, and they are just as efficient as a lot of the new stuff on the market, you may want to replace the A/C if you are looking to save money, however, you may not be able to install an air conditioner over 13 seer because of the way the pulse is setup, you can, but you won't get the full savings from the new unit.

Jun 2, 2007, 04:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Grangy27
    I have a Lennox pulse furnace that is 23 years old and a Lennox A/C that is 22 years old.
    My question is: should I replace them for newer equipment before they break down, or just run them into the ground. The price of hydro keeps going up. They get serviced every second year.

I live in Kitchener, Ontario
    If I keep the Lennox pulse furnace should I buy a new Lennox air conditioner, or shop around , i.e. Rheem, other?
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jun 2, 2007, 06:05 PM
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Today's stuff is more efficient but it's more expensive. Look at the numbers. You have lotsa options.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2007, 09:58 AM
    Not knowing if your furnace is gas or electric,, if gas when they get to be 18 to 20 years old I start to get concerned about the heat chambers starting to rust or burn out when they get that old I tell people to consider a carbon dioxide monitor, they don
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2007, 10:03 AM
    Not knowing if your furnace is gas or electric,, if gas when they get to be 18 to 20 years old I start to get concerned about the heat chambers starting to rust or burn out when they get that old I tell people to consider a carbon dioxide monitor, they don`t cost that much and could save a life or two
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2007, 03:32 PM
    wmproop, you are obviously not too familiar with a Lennox pulse furnace, they did have some problems with heat exchangers in the 90's, but if maintained you can easily get 30 years out of a pulse, I have personally seen them that old and running like new.

Jun 4, 2007, 04:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacservicetech_07
    wmproop, you are obviously not too familiar with a Lennox pulse furnace, they did have some problems with heat exchangers in the 90's, but if maintained you can easily get 30 years out of a pulse, I have personally seen them that old and running like new.
    The heat exchanger on this furnace was replaced under warranty in the nineties by Lennox.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jun 4, 2007, 07:07 PM
    Make sure on the next and every service they check the heat exchanger for cracks and holes. They should also check with a monoxer or similar sniffing tool to check for CO. I would also highly recommend buying a quality CO detector for your home just in case. Lennox Pulse has been known to be a problem child and it does not make a difference when the heat exchanger was replaced.They can go bad in one season.
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2007, 07:39 PM
    Yes,, hvac1000 is correct,, the 90`s was only 7 or so years ago,, is better to be safe than sorry,, the guy did say his unit was 23 years old
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2007, 08:37 PM
    I agree, a pulse should be checked out EVERY year, but it's very reliable, and If you aren't having problems with it, don't replace it. I know people around here that are willing to pay pretty get money to find a good used pulse.
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2007, 08:41 PM
    They had problems with heat exchangers for a few years but they offered free replacement or a new G26, but you have to pay for installation. I don't care what brand name or style gas furnace you own, you should always keep a good working C/O detector in the house, and every furnace should be reguraly serviced.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2007, 08:49 PM
    Yes the pulse had it's share of problems, as long as it is safe keep it. Repair parts recently have been astronomical, so if a major repair becomes necessary you may want to replace it.
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2007, 09:01 PM
    I agree with you there Northerheat, but honestly, isn't everything getting pretty high?
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2007, 09:04 PM
    OK, over thirty percent of replacement cost, just replace it.
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2007, 09:10 PM
    Northernheat, sorry I wasn't trying to undermind or argue with you, I was just trying to spark up a conversation, no disrespect.
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2007, 03:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacservicetech_07
    Northernheat, sorry I wasn't trying to undermind or argue with you, I was just trying to spark up a conversation, no disrespect.
    Don't worry, I don't get offended that easily. :D

Jun 5, 2007, 06:30 PM
    After considering my options I bought an Aire-Flo AF92 to replace the 23 year old pulse furnace as I did not want to put any money into it. As for an A/C, I bought a Lennox 14ACX. As these are not high-end purchases, I hope that I have made the right decision.
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2007, 08:19 PM
    In my opinion, the Aire-flo was not a great idea when you had a pulse, but it's your money. Good luck with everything and let us know if you have any other questions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing return air vents [ 4 Answers ]

My 50 year old house brings the return air from the four corners of the first floor. The air travels between the joists which are capped (on the bottom) with sheet metal. These two channels are then joined at either end of a large sheet metal run (about 2 ft square) that runs perpendicular to the...

Should you replace ducts when replacing a furnace? [ 1 Answers ]

I am gong to replace my furnace, it was in the house when I moved in 17 years ago, And I have had problems lately, My house is about 30 years old. My question is should I replace the duct work when I replace the furnace? I do not see any problems. My only though is they may be old and dirty, as...

Furnace blowing cold air! [ 2 Answers ]

i have been experiancing problems with my furnace blowing out cold air, the first time i checked the code light it was working normal, the second time it was flashing continuosly fast and it meant call for heat, the third time i checked it said to replace the IFC!! i have no idea what the ifc is,...

Furnace blows cool air [ 4 Answers ]

We have a ducane gas furnace that has blown cool air ever since it was installed, which has been for at least 5 years now. The past owner of this house has covered the only cold air return in our living room floor and we have since opened or created a cold air return in the basement for the time...

Forced air furnace [ 1 Answers ]

;) Gas forced air heating, I like to know if there is a way to change the temperature difference between stop and start, for example instead of 68-start and 73 stop change too 70 start and 73 stop ,

View more questions Search