Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kanaali27 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2007, 04:57 PM
    Sales journal Hutton
    Hutton Company uses a sales journal, a purchases journal, a cash receipts journal, a cash disbursement journal, and a general journal. The following transactions occur in the month of March:
    Mar. 2 Sold merchandise costing $300 to B. Fager for $450 cash, invoice no. 5703.
    5 Purchased $2,300 of merchandise on credit from Marsh Corp.
    7 Sold merchandise costing $800 to J. Dryer for $1,150, terms 210, n30, invoice no. 5704.
    8 Borrowed $8,000 cash by signing a note payable to the bank.
    12 Sold merchandise costing $200 to R. Land for $320, terms n30, invoice no. 5705.
    16 Received $1,127 cash from J. Dryer to pay for the purchase of March 7.
    19 Sold used store equipment for $900 cash to Malone, Inc.
    25 Sold merchandise costing $350 to T. Burton for $550, terms n30, invoice no. 5706.
    Prepare headings for a sales journal like the one in Exhibit 7.5. Journalize the March transactions that should be recorded in this sales journal.

Please let me know if I have journalized the accounts correctly

The sales journal should only consist of
    Mar 2, 7, 12, and 25 transaction with account receivable dr. sales cr. Totaling 2470 / with cost of goods sold dr. inventory cr. Totalling 1650

In the account receivable ledger I have the same dates listed
    Mar 2 Dr. 450 Balance 450
    7 Dr. 1150 Balance 1150
    12 Dr. 320 Balance 320
    25 Dr. 550 balance 550

In the General Ledger

Acct Rev. dr. 2470 bal 2470
    Inventory cr. 1650 1650
    Sales cr. 2470 2470
    COGS dr. 1650 1650

Or was I to include the other transaction that has happen during the month
    omsailogistic Posts: 39, Reputation: -1

Jun 3, 2007, 11:16 AM
    First of all, can you please explain why you are passing entry

cost of goods sold dr.1650
    inventory cr.1650

I think we need not to pass entries for costing part, as these are automatically handled by puchase ledger and costing deptt.

In financial accounting the sale transaction is recorded with sale value and no other transaction is required to be made. Since we have not given in the question that the inventory is first purchased and then sold.

It is always assumed that the goods are sold from the stock.

Please let me know, what are you thinking while you journalize that entry.
    tootall1979 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2010, 06:34 PM
    Hutton Company uses a sales journal, a purchases journal, a cash receipts journal, a cash disbursement
    Journal, and a general journal. The following transactions occur in the month of March:
    Mar. 2 Sold merchandise costing $300 to B. Fager for $450 cash, invoice no. 5703.
    5 Purchased $2,300 of merchandise on credit from Marsh Corp.
    7 Sold merchandise costing $800 to J. Dryer for $1,150, terms 210, n30, invoice no. 5704.
    8 Borrowed $8,000 cash by signing a note payable to the bank.
    12 Sold merchandise costing $200 to R. Land for $320, terms n30, invoice no. 5705.
    16 Received $1,127 cash from J. Dryer to pay for the purchase of March 7.
    19 Sold used store equipment for $900 cash to Malone, Inc.
    25 Sold merchandise costing $350 to T. Burton for $550, terms n30, invoice no. 5706.
    Prepare headings for a sales journal like the one in Exhibit 7.5. Journalize the March transactions that
    Should be recorded in this sales journal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outside sales? [ 2 Answers ]

[ok here's my question, I have checked out many sales poss. However I find most of them ,quite fake, and very dishonest. Can anybody tell me about the company called FULLER BRUSH COMPANY? ARE THEY EAZY TO SELL? BRAD

Sales Journal [ 1 Answers ]

I just need to know if I did this correctly. The directions state that Middleton Co. uses a sales journal, a purchases journal, a cash receipts journal, a cash disbursement journal, and a general journal. Here are the following transactions. 3-2 Sold mdse costing 300 to B fager for 450 cas, invc...

Thank you letter for sales [ 6 Answers ]

I am looking for some sample thank you letters to send to customers following our introductory meeting.

General Journal versus Cash Payment Journal [ 2 Answers ]

I have an ethical issue case I'm working on, but am stuck. I would like to know how would I determine which journal to use say for example, you go on a business trip to Australia and take your spouse along at company expense. Well that is unethical for sure, but you are best friends with the vice...

High Pressure Sales with Private Sales Clubs [ 4 Answers ]

To Whom: Is it legal in the state of Rhode Island/Connecticut for a private sales club (Direct Buy) to force a prospective member to join immediately after a forced one hour sales pitch? Direct Buy instructs their prospective customers that if they don't apply for membership immediately they...

View more questions Search