Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2007, 09:21 AM
    Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    "In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin.

But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...

There can be no divided allegiance here.

Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all.

We have room for but one flag, the American flag...

We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jun 1, 2007, 09:26 AM
    Mag, you come up with the BEST stuff.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2007, 09:32 AM
    Isn't that of an era when many women and blacks couldn't vote? Times have changed since then.
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2007, 09:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Isn't that of an era when many women and blacks couldn't vote? Times have changed since then.
    Truth never changes. So you are saying that women and blacks are the reason our country is being invaded by illegals? Isn't that politically uncorrect?:rolleyes:
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2007, 10:11 AM
    LOL. No I guess I was trying to say that the rigid ideals of then have loosened up some.

Edit to add: that quote does not speak of a 'truth'.
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2007, 10:14 AM
    A regional truth then, one adheared to by most Americans. Every one is accepted, if done by law.
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2007, 10:22 AM
    Don't you guys teach spanish pretty much everywhere in the states? Schools and all?
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2007, 10:28 AM
    Ya, have to. It's the only way to get directions out of Southern California.
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2007, 10:33 AM
    That's true but it blows away the truth about the one language being English.
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2007, 10:38 AM
    Canada is for the most part French. You probably speak french as well as english. You also have red Indians. Should everyone in Canada speak French, English and red Indian just to make everyone happy? I say keep it simple and have one national language. It is better for schools, business and everything else for that matter.
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2007, 10:44 AM
    Actually Canada is mostly English by a large percentage. Quebec is about 80% French (I'm from there) and New Brunswick is the only officially bilingual province. Seems to work well. The aboriginal languages are kept alive on the reserves mainly. Yes I am bilingual and am raising my kids that way too.

Canada is quite inclusive and is quite the melting pot but then again I don't live in Toronto where the gang wars happen. I choose to stay away from that crap.
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2007, 10:54 AM
    It is hard to let go of the old belief system but, sometimes I think a global community would be the best solution. No borders, no countries, just one world government. That way, if I wanted to have a small farm in Canada, or if 300,000 Mexican Nationals wanted a small farm in Canada, we could just go do it. The diversity would enrich your children's lives immensely. They could add Spanish to their repertoire.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2007, 01:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by magprob
    But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Hello mag:

I don't know. I looked, but I couldn't find anything like that in the Constitution. I thought people came here to be free. Free to speak whatever language they like - free to support any country they like.

Teddy, who was a Republican, sounds just like the red necked, right wing Republicans we got today.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search