Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 31, 2007, 05:22 PM
    Weekend Physics
    Here's another weekend physics question to contemplate - an excellent question for freshman phyics students to ponder:

Newton's law of inertia says that bodies in motion stay in motion, and those at rest stay at rest, unless a force acts upon them. Same applies to rotating bodies. You start a top spinning and it stays spinning unless a foce like friction interferes. Conversely, a top can't just start turn on its own starting from rest unless some outside force acts on it.

So here's the question: it is well known that if you suspend a cat upside down from a reasonable height and drop it, the cat is agile enough to land upright on its paws. So, how is the cat able to rotate in mid-air when there is no initial angular velocity imparted on it, and there is nothing for it to push against?:rolleyes:
    Adrastus Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2007, 10:22 PM
    Well, cats aren't uniform so their bodies have a moment of inertia around a point that's not directly at their center, this means that by pulling their legs in (i.e. increasing density) they can turn chemical (muscle) energy into rotational energy.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 24, 2007, 09:20 AM
    Not quite right - cats do indeeed pull their legs in, which can affect their rotational velocity(like the ice skater who pulls her arm in to spin faster). But if the cat starts falling without any rotational velocity to start with, what good does pulling in its legs do?
    Adrastus Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2007, 05:05 PM
    ... do they spin their tails? :-)
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2007, 09:46 AM
    I believe that they could not do it in an ideal frictionless situation. They use air friction to swing themselves around, much like if you sit in a cart, you can move forward through clever shifting of your weight to minimise friction when you're going forward, and maximising it when shifting your weight back to the starting position.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hotel in Vegas for the weekend [ 4 Answers ]

My friend and I are planning a weekend getaway in Las Vegas. We would like to keep it inexpensive but fun. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good hotel right on the strip?

Living for the weekend [ 1 Answers ]

I Want to Buy That A blonde goes into a nearby store and asks a clerk if she can buy the TV in the corner. The clerk looks at her and says that he doesn't serve blondes, so she goes back home and dyes her hair black. The next day she returns to the store and asks the same thing, and again,...

Something for the weekend... [ 3 Answers ]

Eye have a spelling cheque err It came with my pea sea It plainly marques four my revue Miss steaks eye kin knot sea. Eye strike a key & type a word And weight for it two say Weather I am wrong oar write It shows me strait a weigh. As soon as a mist ache is maid It nose bee four two long

Getaway weekend [ 1 Answers ]

I am not sure if I am posting this in the right forum... but. My husband and I are planning a little preholiday retreat (it is a yearly thing) as a gift to each other. We would like to stay somewhere in the New England States (MA, RI, CONN) but are not sure where. This time of year tends to be...

Ex boyfriend text me the weekend [ 5 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, I would like advice on my situation to make a long story short we were together for 3 months and he went back to his ex they were together for 2 1/2 yrs I was upset when he told me he said only for her he would be still with me and I was beter looking then her and then I meet him...

View more questions Search