Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Geoho Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2007, 11:14 AM
    Don’t want the compressor to fail again
    Was hoping someone would have replied, there are many helpful techs who post replies here, and I just want to make sure that my unit is OK and the compressor doesn't get damaged, I posted this:

Last winter the heat wasn’t keeping up with the set temp, the outside fan came on, but the compressor would not start, you could hear it trying to start but it wouldn’t come on. The tech said the compressor was short cycling, and it was now "locked up", they put in a new compressor (part was cov’d as unit only 5 yrs old, but labor wasn’t) and a new capacitor and that did the trick.

This spring, put on the a/c, and it wasn't getting cool, went outside and this time the fan wasn't on. Did a troubleshoot with tech over the phone, had the cover off the outside unit, checked a few things as he instructed, and when I pushed the cover back on, it kicked the fan on, tech said probably a loose connection somewhere and they would have to come out. They came out and found a loose terminal on Y1, of the defrost control board and said that was causing the compressor to cycle on and off rapidly, at this time the fan was working and the house was cooling, but eventually the board would fail altogether. We did not want the compressor to be affected by this, so we told them to replace the defrost board.

I am new to heat pumps with central air. Were these 2 problems related? I ask because each time they said compressor short cycling. I just want to make sure the problem is fixed for good. Don’t want the compressor to fail again.

There was a preventative maintenance & cleaning done as well, and they said everything else was working fine.

We were sort of stuck with who we had for service. I called about 15 dealers and none of them would travel here for service, I just found one other company, other than the one we have dealt with who doesn't install lennox, but will service them and they are listed with lennox as qualified service, that's where I got the number.
    Thank you!
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

May 31, 2007, 03:16 PM
    I do not really think the two items were related. Your unit should be OK until of course it breaks again sometime down the road.
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2007, 06:04 PM
    Are you sure it's the defrost board and not the time delay relay? It will be a small circuit board next to the contactor, some of older lennox heat pumps had a lot of problems with them. What is the model number, HP?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fail to start Windows from MS DOS [ 8 Answers ]

This problem concerns an Aptiva machine(serial 90-OH-133). By accident I clicked the MS-DOS icon in "My Computer" and of course it opend in MS-DOS and then would not let me return to Windows 98. No matter what coding I put in front of the DOS promt it failed. I have been at the...

PHP Sanity check fail [ 2 Answers ]

Hi... I'm using exponent cms for my website.. During installation it performs the sanity checking and found 3 folders are not readable/writable... Even though I've already set these folder/files as 777(readable/writable) in my web server, It still show these errors.. I can't find...

Floppy disk fail [ 3 Answers ]

I'm just putting a computer togather now when I turn on the computer after it's done all it's check it'tells me floppy disk fail how can I fix that?

Don [ 3 Answers ]

Well water pressure issue, My water seems to have a lot of air in it (new) and after a short period spurts and sputters. My pump and well have been checked out OK. How would I know if this is a pressure tank issue?

Fail to access the router [ 6 Answers ]

Please, I need an advice :confused: I fail to access the router, I type my default gateway in IE, but it returns in no results. In the house I live, we are connnected to the internet from one person, is it possible to configure router from my computer? I need to open some ports :D

View more questions Search