Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bibi122 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2007, 09:36 AM
    Theft under 18
    My brother was charged yesterday for theft. He is 17 turning 18 in October. He stole a total worth of $2000 from where he worked. We have never been in this type of situation. This is his first time getting into trouble with the law. We have a court date scheduled in one month. I was wondering what we should do in preparation for the trial and do we need a lawyer? What are his possible punishments? Is jail time a possibility? Also, will this charge stay on his record for life, or will it be errased at anytime? We live in Ontario.
    Any information is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    :confused:
    paganheart71 Posts: 27, Reputation: 4

May 31, 2007, 11:20 AM
    You should always have a lawyer if you're going to court. For his first time (hope the only time) that they might just put him on probation, but every state is different, he might get jail time. A good chance it will stay on his record
    missgallucci Posts: 20, Reputation: 0

May 31, 2007, 01:45 PM
    Girl 2000 dollars is alot. Well i live in houston i had about 600 dollars worth of stuff wen i got caught and well this has been the worst experience. I am on probation for a year, 48 hrs community service and jus the problem of having to deal wit all this is enough of a punishment. Okay... well I am eighteen years old and in Texas your an adult at 17 so either way i would have been charged as an adult. If u live in texas so will ur brother. So if your lucky he will only have to do a anti shoplifting class or something, but you MUST get a lawyer because theft is serious. Dont worry girl he wont go 2 jail. I just went because wen i got areested thats where i was taken but he will not have to serve time unless its in juvi or something depending on where u live okay. well i hope i helped u
    bibi122 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2007, 01:58 PM
    Thanks so much missgallucci! If he gets probation and community hours that's fine - he does require some sort of punishment. What he did is wrong and he shouldn't walk away TOTALLY free. Do you think he will have to pay anything? Thanks for your help.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 31, 2007, 01:59 PM
    Hello bibi:

Pagen is right, he needs a lawyer. Assuming he's found guilty, (and that's not a forgone conclusion - I know you think it is, but it isn't), the punishment he gets goes down as the quality of his lawyer goes up.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft [ 11 Answers ]

I did the biggest mistake ever and got caught stealing when I got caught they checked to see if there was any previous records before and I didn't have any and the item was under 100 so they didn't call the cops but they took down all my information like id social and they said that I'm going to...

Theft Under [ 3 Answers ]

I was charged with theft under about 3 years ago and I just found out about the charge when I did a criminal record check what is going to happen, I am innocent.

Theft [ 4 Answers ]

Could someone please tell me what the statute of limitations is on theft in manitoba. Revenue canada want to talk to me about g.s.t. returns that I received. via a different person who was responseable for doing all the paperwork.

Theft [ 32 Answers ]

The other night, Me and some colleagues hit up the local tarvern for some refreshing breverages... okay, we got hammed, and hit the bar... now vaguely I don't remember really being there, but I know I was. Appearently, I stole some beer taps from the beer well. They got me on camera, but, I...

Theft [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am being charged with theft under 5000, 5 counts, and possession, 5 counts. What do you think the consequences will be for this in Canada? I am an adult, and this is my first offence. Please help, I'd like to know more opinions! Thanks :(

View more questions Search