Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BadAzzBu Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2007, 08:33 PM
    Wiring an outlet for 230V welder?
    My building is 3 phase. How do I go about wiring a 230V receptacle? (1 phase) It is the Hobart 187 Mig. Do I need to put a brand new circuit in and wire in a new receptacle? The 3 phase/1phase has me confused. I bought the building off my uncle. He said there is a 220v outlet in here but he pulled the breaker for some reason. I have 2 service panels. The one large one my 3 phase compressor is wired to. Then there is a panel that comes off this panel. There is a double pole 50amp breaker sitting on top of it. There is a receptacle hanging out of the box that I think may be 220v. It has a twist lok type plug in. I only see 2 wires. One, is connected to outlet then the other is grounded to the box. I don't see the other hot. Could this be it? If so I can just buy the correct receptacle and wire it in? Thx. Sorry for the long post. I appreciate it.

May 30, 2007, 08:44 PM
    O.K. the one wire is neutral going to neutral/ground bus and the other is the ground going to neutral/ground bus. No other wires. The white is connected to the receptacle and the ground is coming straight from the neutral/ground bus and grounded to metal box. I would need a red and black wire correct? I know to connect them to each pole of breaker. Where to connect to on receptacle?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 31, 2007, 02:57 AM
    Any outlet will use brass terminals for the live wires, silver for a neutral if needed, and always have a green screw for the equipment ground.

A single phase 240 volt outlet will have two brass terminals and a green screw.

A 3 phase panel has 3 live legs. Your panel should be 120/208 volts, not 220 volts.

A 2 pole breaker for a 208 volt outlet will connect to only two of the 3 hot legs, providing 208 volt single phase.

Between each of the hot legs and the neutral will be 120 volts.

Does this answer your question?

Jun 3, 2007, 10:36 AM
    What size breaker do I need to run? The receptacle states 50amp 250v. Does that mean I have to run a double 50amp? I had another response elsewhere stating I could run a double 30amp but I could run bigger if I ran larger wire. Which breaker should I run?
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2007, 11:45 AM
    I am not sure what size breaker and wire, as you did not state what the unit needs. What does the nameplate say on the welder?

Jun 3, 2007, 12:04 PM
    130 A @ 21.5 volts DC, 30% Duty Cycle At 60 Hz Input- 20% Duty Cycle At 50 Hz Input
    20.5 Amperes
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2007, 02:55 AM
    Minimum #10 wire on a 30 amp circuit is fine for the feed to this welder.

Jun 4, 2007, 05:58 AM
    Thx so much for all your help. I appreciate it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GFI outlet wiring [ 1 Answers ]

The gfi outlet has a Line and Load label on the back. Would the line be the hot wire coming in and the load be the powered wires going out to other electrical outlets?

Old house, new ceiling fan wiring to wall outlet [ 2 Answers ]

I have a new ceiling fan that comes with a wall dimmer and fan speed /on and off... My house wiring is old and has only one black and one white wire,. will this switch work... I have an electrician coming to install. Paid plenty for the fan and I want to make sure...

Mixing wiring and outlet wire gauge . [ 5 Answers ]

If I have a 15 amp circuit, and 14 gauge wire, why can't I install a 20-amp outlet? If a 20-amp device is plugged into the outlet, won't the circuit trip, preventing overload? Also, 20-amp outlets and 15-amp outlets appear to have the same connection for devices (two prongs and a ground hole),...

Wiring my garage for a 230 VAC single phase welder [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to wire a 220 outlet for my 230VAC single phase welder in my garage I have a 60a double breaker is it as simple as black and white w/ red stripe wires to breaker and green to ground? Thanks for any help

Installing a 230v electircal switch [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to install a 230 volt, 30 amp, electrical switch on a power washer power supply. I have triped the breaker many time with the installation I performed. I am looking for a schematic on how this switch should be wired properly. Any suggestions?

View more questions Search