Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2007, 07:19 PM
    Just want your thoughts!
    Hi everyone,

Most of you know me pretty well by now, others won't. I'm sure you know how to get my story if need be.

Anyway I just wanted to ask you all your thoughts on somehting that I have been thinking about the last couple of days.

I have been going along great since the break up with my ex. It has been a bit over 12 months and I can honestly say that I now feel happy again and enjoying all aspects of my life.

In fact I sort of proved it to myself the other night when I found out of my ex that she is living with a new boyfriend. By complete fate I jumped into cab out the front of a club I had been at, and who should be in the front seat but my ex. I learnd that she was on her way home to her new boyfriends house whom she had moved in with.

It didn't really effect me at all. I didn't feel sad, I wasn't mad, I was just sort of numb. A little shocked but I just moved it to the back of my brain and moved on.

My question is though does this seem too soon for you for someone to be moving in with someone. We had been together 7 years and had only broken up about 12 months ago. I know that for a lot of that time she didn't have a boyfriend. So she couldn't have been with this guy too long.

For me I could not even imagine moving in with a new girlfriend yet. And it would take a lot of getting to know her to even consider it.

To me it seems like not such a good move. But do others feel the same.

Im just interested to see what you guys think?
    Stunning07 Posts: 193, Reputation: 25

May 30, 2007, 07:30 PM
    Man I'm sorry but you I would feel kind of hurt about that, not because she's moving in, but why so soon... it kind of makes you feel like wow she got over me this quick, but its not hurting you as much, because you know she's happy and you started seeing yourself happy?. no matter what there's going to been feelings there, but if she can do it so can you, ex's are ex's chapter closed.
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2007, 09:38 PM
    Im sure she was over me before it was even over between us. The her getting over me bit is obvious.

It was just when I thought about moving in with someone so quickly after meeting them it kind of made me cringe a little.

I think in ways it has made me change my opinion of her.
    SouthernBelle06 Posts: 166, Reputation: 83

May 30, 2007, 10:56 PM
    Yes, your ex living with another guy does seem like a hasty move-in situation to me too.

My ex informed me that he lives with another girl only 10 months after he broke up with me. It had not even been a year in my situation. It hurt very badly and was a huge setback for me.

You seemed to handle the news better than I did though, so congratulations on that. When I found out the news from my ex, I tried to maintain my dignity and I didn't yell at him, but in spite of myself, I did end up letting him know that it hurt me pretty badly. He even acted surprised that I was hurt by it. I ended contact with him at this time and he and I haven't spoken since. It has been six months now. It still bothers me from time to time though.

I agree that our exes are over us even before they dump us and before the relationship is over. That's why they are so easily able to do the "friends" thing as well. It takes much longer to get over the situation when you are the one who is left. That's why their move in situations seem so sudden to us I suppose. But I am with you Skell, it seems so soon, and it baffles me as well. You and she were together much, much longer than she has been with this guy. I wish I had more advice to give you Skell. I admire the way you have handled everything though.
    xiaocake Posts: 56, Reputation: 5

May 30, 2007, 11:22 PM
    During 7 years some people would have been married. This long time is not a certificate of your strong love, but perhaps proves you are not a perfect match. Experts said that a relationship which lasts more than 18 months and no marriage plans happen is a failure.
    Since you have gone out of the nightmare, please don't mind either of you loves others quickly.
    Jiser Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 281
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2007, 01:08 AM
    In all honesty I think its going to take me over a year before I return to normality! Its great that you have managed to move on with your life. I think its natural to cringe a little at any news you here of someone you were once so close to.

Before breakups a lot of people it seems know along time before that they are going to end the relationship therefore are more mentally prepared than the dumpee. Hence why it takes us a long time to move on, rejection, ego bash, shock and it's a general life changing experience, it has been for me, I am a changed person compared to the me at this time last year.
    rol Posts: 804, Reputation: 162

May 31, 2007, 01:39 AM
    Hi Skell, good to hear from you, I was wondering how you were.

Yes I agree it seems far too soon to move in with another guy, I cannot believe it... it took me a year to recover emotionally and my ex who I just met up with last night for the first time since October still seems to be stuck and very unhappy.

The good news I guess you hearing this has really made you move on. At least that would be the effect that it would have on me.
    What a coincidence getting in to the same cab ;-)

<<For me I could not even imagine moving in with a new girlfriend yet. And it would take a lot of getting to know her to even consider it.
    >>

That's for sure, right now I'm happy alone and could not imagine living with someone or even being intimate with someone. I still have work to do to get to that point of moving on. I have not started dating yet although I've met a few nice guys that I'm getting to know as friends.
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2007, 10:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Skell
    Im sure she was over me before it was even over between us. The her getting over me bit is obvious.

It was just when i thought about moving in with someone so quickly after meeting them it kind of made me cringe a little.

I think in ways it has made me change my opinion of her.
    Hi my dear Skell,

Some of lifes growing and learning days can be the most complex and confusing. Is it too soon? For most, yes most definitely. But as we say here so many times, a break up is somewhat like a death ( gosh that sounds awful) and afterwards is the mourning period. Just like when someone looses someone as in a passing, everyone reacts differently. Every mourns differently - Every one heals differently and everyone moves on differently.
    At their own pace and own way.

Oh To say your ex was over you before the relationship ended, I can't go there with you.
    Within each of you, forever, will be that special feeling for the other. Why would your ex be any different. She also needs to heal. Because she was the one that initiated the break doesn't mean that there are not things about the relationship that she misses and as well as things about you that she misses.

And no, I think your view of your Ex my have widened a little, but the base opinion that you have of her, probably will always remain.

Is it too soon? Probably yes. Do I have great hope that this is a healthy thing for her? No
    Is it possible that all will be well with it, yes it is possible. This is just the next phase that your ex is going through and she may have changed a little or a lot in the past 12 months, just as you are not the same person you were 12 months ago.

As someone that just thinks the world of you - the news hurt my heart - like a dagger, but
    After the shock wore off, I think this is something your ex most definitely needs to experience even though it is so hard to comprehend.

Although the news had to be a little shock, I am glad you know and I am glad you heard it from her.

Sometimes the things we hear today seem so unclear and only bring on more questions, but the amazing thing about that is one way or another things always do become much more clearer in the days or months to come.

**many hugs to you***
    SAB123 Posts: 685, Reputation: 94

May 31, 2007, 11:11 AM
    I think it's way to fast to move in with someone. I know I would be very hurt if my ex fiancé moved in with someone that fast. It's just a shame how some people can throw 7 years away like that. With me 5 years and we where engaged. But I know it's for the best at least in my situation. It's nice to here that their is light at the end of the tunnel. I just wish for me it was NOW!
    Rockabilly1955mama Posts: 662, Reputation: 85

May 31, 2007, 11:15 AM
    I agree SAB123. It's a shame how people can throw things away at the drop of a dime. And there is light at the end of the tunnel, and I hope for you SAB123 it's just around the corner.

:)
    SAB123 Posts: 685, Reputation: 94

May 31, 2007, 11:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockabilly1955mama
    I agree SAB123. It's a shame how people can throw things away at the drop of a dime. And there is light at the end of the tunnel, and I hope for you SAB123 it's just around the corner.

:)
    Thank you and every one else here on this site.

May 31, 2007, 11:26 AM
    You are very welcome Sab!
    xiaocake Posts: 56, Reputation: 5

May 31, 2007, 04:59 PM
    I am sorry for my presumption.
    I believe you would find another part of your life soon:)
    Stunning07 Posts: 193, Reputation: 25

May 31, 2007, 05:03 PM
    You skell you know, its sucks, but we all learn from our mistakes, right now, you just have't found someone you care for that's why her thoughts still hit you at times, once you find that someone, your comfortble around, she'll be history

May 31, 2007, 05:04 PM
    Yes, times may be tough but you've got to pick yourself up and get back on your feet.

May 31, 2007, 05:12 PM
    I'm glad to hear that Skell! And you're very welcome! Take care now!
    chuff Posts: 3,397, Reputation: 1235
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2007, 05:32 PM
    I think your seeing this all wrong Skell. I do agree with you that this is to soon and way to fast for her to be moving, but if you flip the coin, she was also in a 7 year relationship. I might suggest that while she got tired or bored during the last year she felt like breaking up would cure that. So she left the relationship, then broke up with you. While you were dealing with the news that she had planned for she began doing all those things by herself that she had thought about doing in that last year of your relationship.

But this is what I think may have happened, the "fun and excitement" of being single suddenly became not so fun and exciting. In other words over the last 7 years she had accepted, become accustomed to, and enjoyed a lifestyle. Once the novelty of being single wore off, she was left alone and dare I say desperate. This other guy just happens to come along and they move in together realatively soon. I'm sorry but that reeks of desperation... on both of them to be honest.

I bet the ex didn't realize how good she had it with you until you were gone and now that she's faced with the realization of her decision she's trying to put some kind of happiness back into her life, like she used to have.

I think that if anything this whole situation should put a huge smile on your face, because these actions speak of somebody who is searching for what she used to have and no longer does. I think after a year, you have just learned that you were worth a lot more to her then she let on at the end, and quite honestly, more then she even realized when she had you in her life.

You can go to bed proud tonight knowing that time, energy, and love you put into that relationship was noticed and appreciated, even though it may have been to late on her end, she's feeling the loss now and trying to patch the void that you left. In the end after all that pain you suffered, you came out on top and stronger. You took the time and filled the void by yourself, and now she's suddenly faced with a void and she's got no idea how to fill it other then to try and go back to the way things used to be for her.

I think her trying to replace you should make you pretty damn proud because you and I both know you can't fill the void with more stupid decisions which she is making and you have worked through. Not that this was a game, but in the game of life, you just beat her, she is still coping with her loss and you worked through it and came out a better person.
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2007, 05:39 PM
    Chuff mate,

You never cease to amaze me with your posts. Brilliant. You make so much sense.

You know I sort of thought about it like that. But not in the way you put it.

As I said, it did kind of make me feel good. For different reasons though. Mainly for the reason that it didn't hurt me like I thought it would. I thought to myself "yeah, well done skell, all that pain, loneliness, sadness etc was all worth it. Because now i am a strong person who doesnt get affected by decisions made by someone else"

It was definitely a massive step forward for me when I realise that I could handle learning such news. And the way you put it just makes me feel stronger.

I thought about it the way you did to some degree but then just decided that it is inconsequential to even worry about her motives now. They don't effect me so why bother. I just went back to thinking about No. 1 again.

But what you say just makes so much sense.

Cheers again!
    Jiser Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 281
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2007, 01:44 AM
    WOW Chuff amazing &#172;! Seriously. Made me smile while I am sat here on my desk with no work to do on a Friday morning : (

Ive recently heard my ex is seeing someone new after 4 months of being apart. I hope what you wrote applies to my situation. She seems to go from relationship to relationship, 'reeks of desperation' as you said. She needs someone in her life to feel good about herself etc. Where us dumpees can move on and become stronger and more independent no longer affected by what people think of us or have done to us.

We gained everything and they lost everything...
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2007, 02:21 AM
    Man did Chuff just zoom in and nail that one.

YES - seems to be trying to fill the void, the empty space, now there since the relationship is no more.

So darn true.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Some Thoughts to Consider [ 2 Answers ]

Received in a recent email. Here are a few things to think about that you probably have never thought about; Can you cry under water? How important does a person have to be before they are considered assassinated instead of just murdered? Why do you have to "put your two cents in".....

Thoughts on this [ 2 Answers ]

So I'm not sure if I have found my balance on how much to call my re acquired boyfriend. Lately its only been once a day so that I don't feel like I'm bugging him too much. Do you think this is enough or not enough? Also, when I talked to him yesterday he said he missed me (which he hadn't said in...

Second thoughts [ 19 Answers ]

Dear Experts, I'm eighteen, I have no support from my family, I don't have a decent job, I don't have a steady, or stable home, and I'm eight months pregnant. I already picked out a nice family that will be able to spoil him, and give him everything he'll ever need. So what's the problem...

View more questions Search